Reinventing the bike lock.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Done

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Now if someone could invent a lock that folds flat, weighs little, and is nearly indestructable, I'd buy it. But as it stands my requirements for a lock are different depending where I am. In London, if I have to leave a bike somewhere I want a bomb-proof U lock. In Devon, or touring I'll trade security for weight and ease of stowage.

Done, but your survey does not take into account that some of us will use 2 locks on our bikes (I have to leave my bikes outside at night, so double locking depsite the quiet rural location that is hard to find, is for me a sensible precaution). I have always used a hardened D lock for the frame, rear wheel and whatever I am securing the bike to and another cable lock for the front wheel. May sound overkill but I have never had a bike stolen - (the table's wooden, so touching it!).

Lanzecki

Über Member
I've had two bikes stolen. 1 was locked to a sheffield stand with a (what I thought) was a good D-lock in view of an office block. The other was from a Garage. To this day I recon it was an inside job. Both were £aw500 in the early to mid 90's. Suffice to say I don't leave my bikes unlocked anywhere. The cheap road bike and mountain bikes that I currently have are the only ones that are unattended. The burn toast and glue bike lives in my house, and is still locked up.

Extra or specific insurance is the key.

There was a youtube video I saw. About a guy in New York that was angry with having his, and friends bikes constantly stolen when he ws around the city. He went armed with a hacksaw and bolt cutters, a bike of his own and some cheap locks. He then had is friend video him while he was removing the locks from the bikes. He was never questioned.. Never assume anyone will question a thief. You are your own best security

AndyPeace

tried to do your questionare but it flagged up my questions where I answered 'Other' and had completed the text box, but would not let me chose a differtent option after that, so it would not allow me to submit any answers.

HovR

Über Member
Done, but as SatNavSaysStraightOn has already said, your survey doesn't cater for people who use multiple styles of bike locks.

I have always used a hardened D lock for the frame, rear wheel and whatever I am securing the bike to and another cable lock for the front wheel. May sound overkill but I have never had a bike stolen - (the table's wooden, so touching it!).

It's not over-kill at all.. I've had friends tell me that it is, but they've never had a bike stolen! Living in a relatively small city, my bike with 2 locks (D and cable) is almost always the most secure bike in the stand, so I'm fairly confident it will be there when I get back.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Done.

When you want to hire a Boris bike you use a card (could be a fob, could be a key) to unlock it from a pre-installed safe place. With a Marmoset Stand, you use a card (could be a fob, could be a key) to lock it to a pre-installed safe place. You don't need to carry a lock which weighs more than some carbon frames with you all the time. Sure, you pay a small fee but that covers compensation should anything untoward happen to the bike as well. Besides you already pay a small fortune for a D-lock. Even when the bike's gone. You will no longer need a D-lock or a chain. The point is we already have a locking system in large parts of London. It's just that we think of it as an unlocking system.

Note: if you like to wear a chain around your waist as you cycle there's nothing to stop you continuing to do so. In fact, it can now be much lighter because it will only be there for the look not the lock. And possibly holding up your trousers, of course.

Top Bottom