What do you NOT miss about touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mosquitoes. I got ripped to bits in Lappland. I also hate riding through big cities, not just because of the amount of traffic but I also get lost a little too easy.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Not much i dont miss, apart from having a room above door of a pub, on a cobbled street with trailers & wagons rattling around from 5am :welcome:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
Were you touring in lord of the rings?
It was last year doing the C2C, stopped in a pub at Alston, but can't remember the name B) Fortunatly the pub was quiet, until they banged the door shut about 11.30 ish & the road was cobbled outside & i think the 1st wagon, or farmer with rattling ifor williams trailer went past & woke me around 5am, but would i do it again, damm right i would xx( it still beats getting woken by my alarm clock at 3.30am when on early shifts :ohmy:

Pongunagu

Lack of hot showers. I can deal with crapping outside (takes me ages to find the right rocks though), eating cold cardboard, filtering water, rain, snow, headwinds, just about anything except washing in cold water. Hate it. I'd rather be a minger! But my minging threshold is about a week - if I haven't found a place with hot water within a week I have to bite the bullet and use cold water. But I hate it and it ruins my day.

AndrewClark

Veteran
Waking up to find the tent & all of your kit covered in slugs......

Mosquitoes, they just love me......

Sites marked on maps as "campsites", when you arrive it's almost exclusively caravans....

Brains

Legendary Member
After a day of rain drying everything out in a campsite with little cover, and then trying to find a method to clean the chain and wheels, knowing if you can't you will be adding 1,000 miles if ware for every 100 you cycle (knackered a brand new chain in 150 miles that way)

Brains

Legendary Member
Oh yes, having set up the tent, cooked the meal and then looking for a quick pint before bed. "The pub is just down the road a bit" line - 15 mile round trip, just what you need after 50 miles loaded

simoncc

What I don't like about touring is everyone making massive plans for the next day and then during the next morning these plans all fizzle down into something more realistic. Too much drinking time the previous night is often wasted by these wild plans, and of course if I ever drink too much that's the very day when everyone else is actually up at 5am ready for a 150 miler by 2pm followed by 'bagging' a couple of convenient Munroes.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..oh yeah..wet shoes...especially bad as they really stink if they dont dry out quickly...no fun at all on the flight home:biggrin:

...ants...I don't miss the ants

Dougster

Bending all my tent pegs because I can't get them into the solid, concrete like ground in the South of France

Top Bottom