What do you recommend to avoid butt soreness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The saddle on a hundred quid bike is frankly going to be very cheap and basic so you'll almost certainly benefit from a swap.
My best saddle was bought second hand for a fiver so its not always the most expensive.

OP
OP
J

Jani

Price isn't a determining factor in saddle comfort. Trial and error. You do have saddle level as a starting point, check with spirit level

What part of your anatomy is sore? Sit bones or fleshy parts?

Padded shorts a good start. I couldn't do 30lm without padding personally

It's rather sit bones. Thanks

OP
OP
J

Jani

The saddle on a hundred quid bike is frankly going to be very cheap and basic so you'll almost certainly benefit from a swap.
My best saddle was bought second hand for a fiver so its not always the most expensive.
Really? That's a fair price.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Saddle height won't have much effect on bum soreness, if that's what's worrying you.
I don't agree with that: if you raise your saddle too far and effectively ram it up your bum, your bum will get sorer as almost your full weight grinds it into the saddle. Similarly, if it's too low, it can cause a different sort of bum pain. The ideal is for your weight to be evenly and ever-changingly shared between your legs and bum, riding the bike rather than sitting on it.

More likely to be your saddle doesn't suit you either due to shape or its not supporting your sit bones correctly.
But I'd still agree with this bit. I suspect most saddle pain is due to wrong-shaped-for-that-rider saddles.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Good cycling shorts are a must.
No, they're really not. There are two main schools of thought: one says you pad all your shorts and have to wear special shorts to ride far; the other says you pad your saddle correctly and then you just have to make sure you don't sit on any seams (which would be uncomfortable for most sitting) or have bulky seams (like most jeans) when riding further. Some people find padded shorts to be extremely uncomfortable, with pads retaining sweat and causing problems, pad seams in bad places chafing across things best not chafed, or sometimes simply skin-sensitivity to elastane.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was gutted to find out I hated the one I bought so I gave it to a friend who loved it and he now has one on all of his bikes
I dont get on with them, prefer a narrow flatter saddle
SAPXSL-CRO-BLK_P1.jpg

Alan O

Über Member
No, they're really not. There are two main schools of thought: one says you pad all your shorts and have to wear special shorts to ride far; the other says you pad your saddle correctly and then you just have to make sure you don't sit on any seams (which would be uncomfortable for most sitting) or have bulky seams (like most jeans) when riding further. Some people find padded shorts to be extremely uncomfortable, with pads retaining sweat and causing problems, pad seams in bad places chafing across things best not chafed, or sometimes simply skin-sensitivity to elastane.
Indeed. I don't wear padded shorts. I have a saddle that suits me perfectly (a Brooks Cambium C17 for me) and I wear thin Primark shorts with underwear (with seams in none of the wrong places). My longest ride this year was 105 miles, and my bum wasn't the slightest bit troubled.

Padded shorts are the answer for many people, but not all.

Update: I see the Charge Spoon has been recommended. It's a popular saddle at a very good price, and I have one on my MTB - but anything over around 40 miles on it starts to be a little uncomfortable.

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
Well, I'll throw this into the mix - I've never worn cycling shorts (or any other sort of shorts) on the bike. I wear long, lightweight, shower-proof trousers made by Umbro and I've never had a problem. They're actually extremely comfortable. Just checked my notes and I've cycled 2,362 miles (3,780km) so far this year.

The comment above "Good cycling shorts are a must" seems to me to be really rather unhelpful.

As @fossyant said, cycle more (a lot more) and don't be side-tracked by "techy" suggestions. Changing the saddle on a £100 bike ? Good grief...

Top Bottom