What do you recommend to avoid butt soreness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I dont get on with them, prefer a narrow flatter saddle
View attachment 418921
give in - which saddle is that?

nickAKA

Über Member
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to ask you a question about butt soreness. I hadn't have problem with it before but in the last couple of weeks I feel the pain is getting worse and it's bothering me. I raised the saddle a few weeks ago because I learned it's not on the proper position since my knees bended when I stood on the paddle. It may have something to with it but if not can you give me advice what I should do to avoid butt soreness. I read a few things online about it but I'm wondering what your suggestions are.

Thanks!!

The short answer is there isn't 'one' answer. The extreme ends of the spectrum are "ride more and get used to it" or "best saddle fit possible, expensive shorts, chamois cream". I tend more toward the latter which is probably the short cut; the the only incontrovertible truth is that a poorly constructed, ill-suited saddle set at the wrong height & angle will most likely hurt your arse. Don't fall into the trap that a great big padded saddle will be the answer cos it doesn't work. Again, a charge spoon at £20 is a great place to start- try one, get the height & angle right, see if it works for you and if it doesn't, think about what the issue is exactly - too narrow or wide for your sit bones - and work from there.

postman

Legendary Member
We are all different,but good padded shorts a must for me,i can say the CHARGE SPOON is a good place to start with a saddle.I have one on my mountain bike and it is comfy.My road bike has a Brooks on it but that has been under my bum since 1987,i don't suppose you can wait that long to get yours to fit you.But it is a work of art and i say made in heaven.

Fauj270

Regular
I've been cycling for a while now and as I've started to do longer rides I've noticed that my saddle related soreness has gotten worse. It's not specifically my ass it's the skin around my buttocks and (lack of a better word) my nuts has come away. Therefore it's been quite itchy and sensitive. Has anyone come across this before? I wash my bib shorts after every cycle. The saddle is at the right height. I'm wondering if there's something I csn do or if I should be going to a doctor at this stage as after each ride I'm quite uncomfortable for a number of days

screenman

Legendary Member
I've been cycling for a while now and as I've started to do longer rides I've noticed that my saddle related soreness has gotten worse. It's not specifically my ass it's the skin around my buttocks and (lack of a better word) my nuts has come away. Therefore it's been quite itchy and sensitive. Has anyone come across this before? I wash my bib shorts after every cycle. The saddle is at the right height. I'm wondering if there's something I csn do or if I should be going to a doctor at this stage as after each ride I'm quite uncomfortable for a number of days[/QUOTE from

What type of saddle?

I've been cycling for a while now and as I've started to do longer rides I've noticed that my saddle related soreness has gotten worse. It's not specifically my ass it's the skin around my buttocks and (lack of a better word) my nuts has come away. Therefore it's been quite itchy and sensitive. Has anyone come across this before? I wash my bib shorts after every cycle. The saddle is at the right height. I'm wondering if there's something I csn do or if I should be going to a doctor at this stage as after each ride I'm quite uncomfortable for a number of days
I'd see a doc. Don't see why that should be happening.

Any problems elsewhere on your body??
Diet okay?

Always Cross

Veteran
I ride on a charge spoon. To start off it was giving me chaffing on my bum checks. I put the saddle down and it has got better. I think the saddle being too high was making my hips rock to reach the pedal at the bottom of the stroke. Lowering the saddle stopped the hips moving and stopped the chaffing.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Maybe the nose of your saddle is too fat or too long?
Try a skinnier saddle?
Or some seam is chafing.
Don't wear underwear under the bib shorts, if you do so.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was gutted to find out I hated the one I bought so I gave it to a friend who loved it and he now has one on all of his bikes

I can't stand them either. A classic example on why you should never buy a saddle upon another riders recommendation - unless your butt is the twin of theirs you have no way of knowing which camp you'll fall into. If I bought a Charge Spoon/Maddison Flux every time someone recommended one I'd be having my arse amputated by now to relieve the pain.

Sometimes it can be a matter of a simple adjustment. I had a saddle that very nearly did me serious physical harm. And I mean serious. I did try adjusting it mid ride but it still seemed as bad. Was near to tears at the end.

Then some very slight adjustment and it is now one of my most comfortable saddles.

I remain dubious about some of these severe cut out saddles. Some of the male ones remind me of those devices for removing tics from your flesh.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Best solution!
20180825_135110.jpg

nickAKA

Über Member

OK - well that comes in 2 widths - if it's the wider version and the chafing is on your butt cheeks (rather than the under carriage), that may suggest it's TOO wide and you're sitting 'on top' of it; try something narrower that more suits the shape of your sit bones with more slope on the width. It's also got quite a long nose; if there's pressure on your 'nuts', again, causing chafing, try something with a shorter nose. Personally, I find those 'channels' to be a double-edged sword (really, no pun intended) and if the nose is too long you're just putting added pressure on 2 areas rather than one, where you really don't want it, so maybe try something with a flatter profile too.
I've pretty much described a charge spoon here, there's method in my madness. Another saddle that springs to mind - fizik aliante R3 but several times the price of the spoon.
Other considerations - maybe it's a tad too high and all your weight is always on the saddle - try lowering it a few mm at a time; decent shorts & chamois cream will reduce the chafing.

Top Bottom