What do you recommend to avoid butt soreness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
Don't toupés usually go on the other end of people?

Unless it's the proper noun for a man-specific Merkin

Reactions: mjr
What worked for me:-

Bike fit
Funkier shorts
Chamios Cream
Brooks saddle

BTW - IMO brooks saddles aren't expensive - you can get them for about £70 - or if that is to much you can replicas for spa cycles for about half that.

I bought and used Chamios Cream for the first time last weekend , I was quite suprised when I squirmed it on to my hand and it was a nice white cream like moisturiser cream , I had been having visions of it been like axel grease

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
What worked for me:-

Bike fit
Funkier shorts
Chamios Cream
Brooks saddle

BTW - IMO brooks saddles aren't expensive - you can get them for about £70 - or if that is to much you can replicas for spa cycles for about half that.
Yup pretty much agree with that summary. Just completed LEJoG in a week at an average 125 miles a day. Brooks B17 works for me, but they need a bit of breaking in. Tried a B17 Imperial Narrow but it never felt right. Ol' faithful fits me like a glove. So +1 for correct bum fit. (I also ride a Charge Spoon which is ok for up to about 60 miles.)
Shorts take some experimenting to find what works too. I got some Jolly Wear at a silly price from Amazon and I love 'em. Good (close) fit is also vital for clothing to avoid chafing. I also used copious amounts of Udderly Smooth with several applications each day. So to reiterate:
1. Bike fit/position
2. The right saddle for your bum
3. Clothing choice to avoid chafing
4. Chamois cream
Finally, it's amazing what good effect food and drink can have on a fatigued body, doh!

Oh yeah.. and miles to break in your bum!

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
I realised I had a lump in one buttock .
Not right in " the crease " as my GP put it today.

Noticed it last week. Note sore to sit on but just a hard lump. Bigger than a pea, smaller than a golf ball.

Made an appointment , but it's went down in size a fair bit since I made it.

GP , who cycles, had a prod at it and has decided that since it's not getting bigger, isn't hot, itchy, red etc that we'll wait and see.
I was hardly on my bike during August and first week of September, then back to daily use and it appeared.

So if it's not gone in a week I've to go back and see about antibiotics.

Meanwhile I can keep cycling.

Top Bottom