What do you ride for?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, exactly what the title says..

I'll start, I ride for the country side I'm in; I don't really like riding through big towns or built up areas if I can help it, I like to seek out quieter/country roads in lovely settings (Quite lucky here in North Wales, Snowdonia has some beautiful roads). I quite like taxing long rides, not interested in speed; however, I aim to keep a good pace so I can go further rather than riding fast for the sake of it. I quite like climbing and enjoy the physical test but I only test myself, not interested in competing against others. So that's why I ride...very personal things.

Why are you a cyclist?

C

DTD

Veteran
SImply because I enjoy the feeling of it – gives a sense of freedom, lets you see things you'd miss in a car, after a long ride you feel good (eventually).

Skipper

It's what I call "my time". Life is sometimes too full of people, things, business, family, etc.. An hour or two out on the bike early mornings is a chance to sort the world out, clear my head, enjoy the sunrise, peace and quiet, work off last nights food (and drink!). And you can beat the exercise endorphine "high" for a few hours when you get back.

tyred

Legendary Member
Similar reasons to the OP really. I'm in no way competitive and I like to seek out the less travelled routes and expore the countryside. I live in a lumpy area so even my "flat" rides have some climbing.

To get away from the wife ;)
...who buys him all his gear and encourages him.....

Basically because I enjoy it, prefer to ride in the countryside but equally at home in urban areas when commuting etc.

And of course it has the added benefits of fitness, and saves me money. It's what you might call a win win scenario.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
For the one place improvement on a Strava segment.
For the challange of rain, wind and cold.
For the feeling of fitness and improvement and for the feeling of abject pain and being completely spent.
For the comradarie and for the solitude.
For the next peddle stroke which is one too far and for the next mile which won't be enough.
For the rush of a downhill and for the grind of a climb.
For the unadultarated thrill of speed and power and for the sedate calmness of the cruise.
For the scenery and for the perspective.
For the limitless potential of an open road and the freedom of packed city streets.
For the connection to places I know and for the discovery of those I don't.
For the miles I have completed so far and for those I am yet to attain.
For the belief that I can do more and for the singular reason because I can.
For the celebration and for redemption.
For the next summit.
For cake.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
It's how I get to where I'm going. Primarily it is functional, it's my transport. I prefer it to other methods of transport for some of the reasons people have already mentioned. It is cheap and efficient. I enjoy the head space that it affords me. I like that I am in and around everybody else but also alone. Close enough to engage if I want to, unlike in a car, but far enough away not to have to if I choose. Also it is an efficient way of getting some exercise. Philosophically cycling suits me very well because of it's inherent efficiency; at a time when we are wasting far too much cycling counters that.
In short it is simply the best way of getting about.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
To try and have some sort of fitness.
Because when I am riding, it is like having wings on, it gives me a great sense of freedom.
To get away from it all.
Because I like spending my money on proper things ( as opposed to p***ing it against a wall.)
It makes a very welcome change from the car.

Top Bottom