What Do You Think About These Bike Choices?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crevice

Hello everyone, I need some advice from people that are into cycling. I am going to pickup a bike soon for mainly for exercise, local running around, possibly commuting but nothing to crazy.

I think most of my riding will be around the neighborhood only because it's just there when you open your door. However want I want to get into, is riding trails and paths in the local area (Newnan, Ga), just because I'm not sharing the road with vehicles and the possible hazards that doing that could bring.

When I say trails and paths I do not mean crazy, I need another Red Bull stuff. I'm looking for fairly manicured paths in the woods or whatever but I have no intention of doing tricks, racing or really even getting the thing off the ground... that may happen in a spur of the moment kinda thing but I'm a fairly fit 53... so in general, pretty much not going to be doing that.

My question is on bike selection. Trek is all I've looked at so far and though I originally was thinking the Dual Sport 2, those are pretty much gone and everyone I talk to thinks I should maybe be looking at Marlins, which is what I've been doing. The Marlin 6 was my first choice but the tubeless tire readiness and other features of the Marlin 7 sounds like it is seriously worth looking at.

My height is aroung 6'ft 4" to 6' ft 4.5" or 193 to 194 centimeters. My inseam is about 34" or about 86/87 centimeters.

The bikes, sizes and colors I am currently interested in but some can be hard to find.

All 2022 Trek Models
Unsure in the size will be XL or XXL, I need to try them out

Marlin 6 ($799.99) - 1st choice is Factory Orange but if that is not available, Rage Red to Dnister Black Fade

Marlin 7 ($979.99) - 1st choice is Matte Nautical Navy/Matte Anthracite but if that is not available, Marigold to Radioactive Red Fade

That Marlin 7 price is really the most I want to pay.

What are your thoughts? Marlin 6, Marlin 7, another choice?

Thanks,
Randy

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

it?$responsive-pjpg$&cache=on,on&wid=1440&hei=1080.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I doubt you'd really need a mountain bike with its suspension fork and associated weight for the sort of riding you mention. I'd go for a hybrid which these days are MTB lite with their big tyres, I'd choose one without suspension. You'll find it more lively on the road as well as being able to handle tracks and even rough trails.
In the end it's really up to you but that's my advice.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/recreation-bikes/verve/verve-2-disc/p/32735/
As for being able to have a choice of colours in these days of limited supply....

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

I doubt you'd really need a mountain bike with its suspension fork and associated weight for the sort of riding you mention. I'd go for a hybrid which these days are MTB lite with their big tyres, I'd choose one without suspension. You'll find it more lively on the road as well as being able to handle tracks and even rough trails.
In the end it's really up to you but that's my advice.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/recreation-bikes/verve/verve-2-disc/p/32735/
As for being able to have a choice of colours in these days of limited supply....

Thank you, do you have any recommendations outside of Trek? I really would like to keep it under $800 if possible. I originally was thinking hybrid. I hear a lot of people talking about gravel bikes too. I don't know if there's a difference.

carpiste

Guru
Agree with Cycleops. From your description of potential use the hybrid is going to be most suitable for all the riding you`ll do. On/ off road a good hybrid will do it all.
Regards buying I would suggest you get out and about and find bikes to at least sit on. Any decent cycling store will give you good advice and sort you out with your best option with your budget..... which I may add is going to get you a very decent ride ;)

sasquath

From your intended use description you need a hybrid, not even with suspension.
Maybe for a rainy months fit more mud friendly tyres. If you insist on suspension then dual sport from trek , rigid fx2/3. Verve is less sporty than FX - more upright ride position.

I'm 192 cm tall with 90cm stand over height(barefoot) and trek fx3 XL is a perfect fit, not too rough on my local gravel and cobblestone paths too.

Last edited:

sasquath

How rough are the local trails and paths?
The one I use the most is just an unmaintained path along flood barrier transitioning into coarse gravel/mud mix of a service road.
Not too rough is very subjective so maybe better disregard my previous notion...

vickster

Legendary Member
The one I use the most is just an unmaintained path along flood barrier transitioning into coarse gravel/mud mix of a service road.
Not too rough is very subjective so maybe better disregard my previous notion...
Well clearly I was asking the OP who is looking to buy a bike for local trails and paths :wacko:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In the current situation it's best to check what's available locally. Supply chains have been interrupted so choice will be limited. Best to buy that way rather than online as you've got some help should anything go wrong.
Most of us on here are in the UK so may be aware of what's available in the US.
Any of the major brands like Specialized, Trek, etc are fine. Giant also and they make quite a few bikes for other big brands so you may choose a bike with another brand name on it but may be made by them.

That looks very gentle stuff so any hybrid with 32c + tyres will handle that no probs and in reasonable comfort.

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

If you want to stick with Trek. Something like this.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3-disc/p/28474/

Unfortunately it doesn’t state max tyre width. It comes with 32mm which is fine for easy rail trail type riding.

I don't need to stick with trek but there are a few trek stores in my area. I just noticed a Schwinn in the gallery that I just linked I may want to check out.

On the Marlins I've looked at, I do like the idea of losing a front derailer and having a 1x10 drivetrain. The suspension for can be locked so your energy isn't being wasted uphill and elsewhere.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don't need to stick with trek but there are a few trek stores in my area. I just noticed a Schwinn in the gallery that I just linked I may want to check out.

On the Marlins I've looked at, I do like the idea of losing a front derailer and having a 1x10 drivetrain. The suspension for can be locked so your energy isn't being wasted uphill and elsewhere.

That’s coming down to personal preference. But for the trail photos you’ve shown and your description. A suspension fork is extra weight you don’t need and won’t be put through the kind of terrain they are designed for.

Top Bottom