What Do You Think About These Bike Choices?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

In the current situation it's best to check what's available locally. Supply chains have been interrupted so choice will be limited. Best to buy that way rather than online as you've got some help should anything go wrong.
Most of us on here are in the UK so may be aware of what's available in the US.
Any of the major brands like Specialized, Trek, etc are fine. Giant also and they make quite a few bikes for other big brands so you may choose a bike with another brand name on it but may be made by them.

That looks very gentle stuff so any hybrid with 32c + tyres will handle that no probs and in reasonable comfort.

I agree, that's kind of why I've been focusing on Trek because there are 3 Trek stores near me. They have free ajustments and a free annual tune up which is nice. The one in Peachtree City, Ga is the one I will visit first. You can check the Trek website for what's in stock. They update it every 6 hours. That store seems to have a lot of what I was looking at but no one has the bike I originally wanted in stock which is the Dual Sport 2. There is a store that has a couple of Dual Sport 3 bikes coming in December and I could put a deposit on it now to reserve it but there are Marlin 6 & 7 bikes and some others available now and I know at least the Marlins are selling pretty quick.

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

A suspension fork is extra weight you don’t need and won’t be put through the kind of terrain they are designed for.

Good to know. 👍

carpiste

Guru
This is a photo gallery of a popular trail in my area. This is as roigh as I would probably want to get. There is a better website I will post when I find it that shows all of the trails in the area.

Brown's Mill Gallery
Apart from the river crossing those paths look pretty decent to me and I`d go with my hybrid on any of them....
For the river you`d be best with really fat tyres ;)

...... of course there`s always someone who thinks they`re Jesus! ;)

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

Apart from the river crossing those paths look pretty decent to me and I`d go with my hybrid on any of them....
For the river you`d be best with really fat tyres ;)
View attachment 610876

...... of course there`s always someone who thinks they`re Jesus! ;)

That's funny, I didn't even notice that pic. If it was me I'd cool off by carrying the bike while I walked through the river.

Alex321

Veteran
Thank you, do you have any recommendations outside of Trek? I really would like to keep it under $800 if possible. I originally was thinking hybrid. I hear a lot of people talking about gravel bikes too. I don't know if there's a difference.
Gravel bikes generally have drop handlebars, like a road bike would, rather than the flat bars a hybrid will have.

Other than that, the lines can be fairly blurred as to what features they will both have - and the line between a grave bike and an "adventure" road bike is also pretty blurred.

Gravel bikes will still usually have fairly wide tyres - 32-38mm generally, and would cope fine with the terrain in those photos. The gearing will usually be 2x, or even 1x, while hybrids are often 3x.

They probably would be better for road riding than the hybrid, because the riding position would be closer to that of a regular road bike.

sasquath

Gravel vs hybrid only real difference are handlebars, drops on gravel flat on hybrid.
outside of trek...
giant escape
giant roam (suspension fork)
specialized sirrus (sirrus X is 1x drivetrain)
cannondale quick
not sure if available in USA:
pinnacle lithium
pinnacle neon

all hybrids - never considered gravel bike so no idea what's out there.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Even if the US, it’ll be a struggle to get a decently specced new Gravel bike for $800.

There are other brands that are a decent size in the US, eg Felt and Jamis which might offer better value vs. The bigger brands

You won’t get Pinnacle in the US, Evans in house brand

DRM

Guru
If you can get one, a Marin Gestalt gravel bike is a very good bet, and good VFM, but supply of new bikes in the UK is terrible at the minute, I'm guessing things are no better in the USA

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

If you can get one, a Marin Gestalt gravel bike is a very good bet, and good VFM, but supply of new bikes in the UK is terrible at the minute, I'm guessing things are no better in the USA

Yes, stock is low in US as well. If there were a Trek Dual Sport 3 available I would have probably already picked it up but there are no Dual Sports at all, anywhere that I've found.

y1?$responsive-pjpg$&cache=on,on&wid=1440&hei=1080.jpg

I looked ar the Marin Gestalt and the description says they're for pavement.

Nibor

Bewildered
Go into your local store and talk to them they will know what is available in your size and budget and are probably locay riders familiar with the trails you are going to use. You may also get a test ride.

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

Go into your local store and talk to them they will know what is available in your size and budget and are probably locay riders familiar with the trails you are going to use. You may also get a test ride.

Test ride is not a problem. I've talked with several people at Trek. The one that seemed the most helpful admitted that the Dual Sport is what would suit my needs best but since that one isn't available everyone says I should go with the Marlin. They said a lot of people do run around locally or in their neighborhoods on them even though they are more of an off road bike. People reviewing them on YouTube say the same about the Marlins.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Yes, stock is low in US as well. If there were a Trek Dual Sport 3 available I would have probably already picked it up but there are no Dual Sports at all, anywhere that I've found.

View attachment 611156

I looked ar the Marin Gestalt and the description says they're for pavement.
It might say pavement, but mine found itself on some of the MTB trails on a short cut through Leeds Urban Bike Park on Sunday!
https://www.leedsurbanbikepark.com/
looking at this it just says beyond road, increased stability for endurance road and off pavement use, so basically a more road oriented gravel bike, rather than a Not quite an MTB gravel bike.
https://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/2022-gestalt-2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

It might say pavement, but mine found itself on some of the MTB trails on a short cut through Leeds Urban Bike Park on Sunday!
https://www.leedsurbanbikepark.com/
looking at this it just says beyond road, increased stability for endurance road and off pavement use, so basically a more road oriented gravel bike, rather than a Not quite an MTB gravel bike.
https://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/2022-gestalt-2

I tend to agree. It does say in bold:

ADVENTURE ROAD RIDING
LONG DISTANCE COMMUTING
ENDURANCE AND ALL-WEATHER PAVEMENT

I love this one photo at the bottom. This is like my dream place to ride. This multiplied by several miles/kilometers. That's gorgeous.

bikepath.jpg

Top Bottom