What Do You Think About These Bike Choices?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Unfortunately it doesn’t state max tyre width. It comes with 32mm which is fine for easy rail trail type riding.

I prefer to run 35 or 38 mm tyres on my hybrids. If you think about it, old school 3-speed roadsters were almost always shod with the Imperial equivalent 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" wide tyres, because they hit that sweet spot of comfort and capability, without excessive weight. I regard 32mm or 1 1/4" tyres as something more suited to a quality touring bike with a lightweight frame and used on slightly better surfaces. Not to say 32's won't work, but they will need higher tyre pressures so the ride quality won't be so good all things being equal.

grldtnr

I prefer to run 35 or 38 mm tyres on my hybrids. If you think about it, old school 3-speed roadsters were almost always shod with the Imperial equivalent 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" wide tyres, because they hit that sweet spot of comfort and capability, without excessive weight. I regard 32mm or 1 1/4" tyres as something more suited to a quality touring bike with a lightweight frame and used on slightly better surfaces. Not to say 32's won't work, but they will need higher tyre pressures so the ride quality won't be so good all things being equal.

The terrain you describe, isn't by any means demanding, so a run of the mill bike would do, but I don't know the American market or what's available.
As for me ,I am a short arse 6' 2" long dollop, I bought 15 yrs ago a Trek FX 200 ally framed hybrid 22.5 inch frame, just to go a mile and a half ,daily to work, it's been fine for that, it also serves for sometimes demanding off road trips, and is quite a workhorse for all things, it's now the main 'service' bike ,pubs, shops & general run about, it gets used and abused.
I have a bike habit, for what I bought it for ,it was over specced, but I wouldn't fret about going too high spec for your proposed use.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you can get one, a Marin Gestalt gravel bike is a very good bet, and good VFM, but supply of new bikes in the UK is terrible at the minute, I'm guessing things are no better in the USA
I would recommend looking at Marin as well. I'm no longer familiar with the range but 20 years ago owned two of their city (UK hybrid) bikes. The model was the San Rafael. Clearly a lot may have changed in 20 years but my experience was so good if I wanted a hybrid today Marin would be the first brand I would look at.

Although my San Rafael was classed as a city bike I found it was very well suited to commuting, shopping, leisure trail and road riding and I went on multi-day 300 mile tours on it. Adaptable would be the word.

Biker man

I doubt you'd really need a mountain bike with its suspension fork and associated weight for the sort of riding you mention. I'd go for a hybrid which these days are MTB lite with their big tyres, I'd choose one without suspension. You'll find it more lively on the road as well as being able to handle tracks and even rough trails.
In the end it's really up to you but that's my advice.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/recreation-bikes/verve/verve-2-disc/p/32735/
As for being able to have a choice of colours in these days of limited supply....

Biker man

That’s coming down to personal preference. But for the trail photos you’ve shown and your description. A suspension fork is extra weight you don’t need and won’t be put through the kind of terrain they are designed for.
I would have thought it would help with pot holes and rough tarmac you are the second to suggest it's not needed but the vibrations on rough tarmac is unpleasant rode over a cattle grid one day and my fillings nearly came out

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I would have thought it would help with pot holes and rough tarmac you are the second to suggest it's not needed but the vibrations on rough tarmac is unpleasant rode over a cattle grid one day and my fillings nearly came out
A suspension fork is unlikely to improve ride comfort on cattle grids and it does very little for vibrations in my opinion. The best comfort comes from wider tyres.

Alex321

Veteran
My hybrid has suspension forks, and they really didn't help much with any of that. In the end, I only unlocked them when I was on fairly rough gravel. Any time I was riding on the road, I had the suspension locked. Which was most of the time, so as others say, it is just extra weight you are pushing around.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A suspension fork is only going to reduce vibrations through your arms. If you want to reduce them through your body try a suspension seat post. I had one once and found it quite effective.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A suspension fork is only going to reduce vibrations through your arms. If you want to reduce them through your body try a suspension seat post. I had one once and found it quite effective.
I had one of these on a Trek. Replacing it with a simple ally one was an easy 500g weight saving. Unlike you @Cycleops I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe I'm just an insensitive ar*e

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A suspension fork is unlikely to improve ride comfort on cattle grids and it does very little for vibrations in my opinion. The best comfort comes from wider tyres.

The best way to reduce discomfort on short stretches of rough surfaces like cattle grids, is to get your backside off the saddle. Your legs and arms can act like suspension up to a point, because they have a pivoting joint in them. You at least then avoid the worst of the disturbance forces going straight up your spine via the frame and seatpost.
Cycling ultimately does not offer the sort of plush ride you can get in a motor vehicle. Sensible tyre widths and appropriate pressures for the rider and bike weight can go a long way to minimising the amount of vibration experienced, along with an intelligent riding style.

Biker man

The best way to reduce discomfort on short stretches of rough surfaces like cattle grids, is to get your backside off the saddle. Your legs and arms can act like suspension up to a point, because they have a pivoting joint in them. You at least then avoid the worst of the disturbance forces going straight up your spine via the frame and seatpost.
Cycling ultimately does not offer the sort of plush ride you can get in a motor vehicle. Sensible tyre widths and appropriate pressures for the rider and bike weight can go a long way to minimising the amount of vibration experienced, along with an intelligent riding style.
Thanks for the tip also I think the faster you ride over a cattle grid the less vibrations.

Top Bottom