What do you think about when cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I tend to think about if I am pushing on or just rolling along and if the effort I am putting in is easy or hard for the speed I am cycling at. On hills however it can end up with me thinking strange thoughts of I hate you you barsteward you will not defeat me.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
There's so much going on for me to keep big ideas in my mind. But the more I concentrate on what is going on around me, the more those big backburner thoughts mature out of consciousness.

Rykard

Veteran
why i always catch a green light when I need a rest, red light when on a roll and when it's flat always into a headwind..

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ach, you know, the usual ... will I beat that Strava segment, should I enter that hilly sportive? :whistle:
Only kidding, I mainly concentrate on not falling off - commute is on paths, so no need to concentrate on traffic, and watch out for broken glass.

Renmurew

Veteran
No matter how hard I try to avoid it, I always end up with a song going round and round my head. It's a random song each time but could be a jingle from a TV advert or something I heard on the radio that day. I did a 50k cycle on Saturday to Adel's rolling in the Deep. This is actually really impressive cos I don't know most of the words! Another time it was the theme to The Godfather that kept me company. Most annoying so far has been Lets Go Fly A Kite from Mary Poppins, that got really repetitive after the first hour!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No matter how hard I try to avoid it, I always end up with a song going round and round my head. It's a random song each time but could be a jingle from a TV advert or something I heard on the radio that day. I did a 50k cycle on Saturday to Adel's rolling in the Deep. This is actually really impressive cos I don't know most of the words! Another time it was the theme to The Godfather that kept me company. Most annoying so far has been Lets Go Fly A Kite from Mary Poppins, that got really repetitive after the first hour!
Do you wanna build a snowman? (During all January 2015) :laugh:

Herbie

Veteran
Does anyone do any deep thinking when cycling to work and back? Do you dream of being a action hero? Do you think about revision topics for school, college, or university? Do you try to plan the working day ahead? Or do you just have a blank mind and concentrate on cycling to work and back?

Bit of everything goes through my head

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Let's go fly a kite works quite well with cycling lyrics...

Let's go ride a bike,
Up to the highest height.
Let's go ride a bike,
Up through the Alps, no fear!
Up where the air is clear
Let's go ride a bike....

mustang1

Guru
Does anyone do any deep thinking when cycling to work and back? Do you dream of being a action hero? Do you think about revision topics for school, college, or university? Do you try to plan the working day ahead? Or do you just have a blank mind and concentrate on cycling to work and back?

That.
If I don't, then I'm not enjoying my ride as much as I could be.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
depends, lots of things.

One thing I do find though is that if something has peed me off, either on the road or off, thinking about it is a great way to get up hard hills. Once or twice I have had the hump with something or other and been going over it in my head, thinking about how I should/could handle it when...suddenly... I have found myself at the top of a hill that usually gives me grief.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
In heavy urban traffic, I just enjoy the buzz enormously. Turning into quieter roads. I like looking at the architecture. In parks, my singing makes passing dogs howl in pain.

Top Bottom