What do you think is a reasonable price at an Indian restaurant nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I know Indian meals (both take away and restaurant) seem to have risen in price dramatically in recent years.
Some friends took myself and Mrs Dave out to an Indian of their choosing last week. (our anniversary)
Bear in Mind this is Warrington AND NOT even town centre.
Restaurant was very nicely done out.
Service was good though (IMO) quite slow.
Food was good though a bit mean with the quantity of meat.
All main courses were approximately £14.00.
On top of that was rice and nan bread.
A pint of very average "Indian" lager was over £5.00
I have no idea what the starters cost.
So............leaving London with its sill prices out of it.....what (in your experience) is a reasonable price today.

screenman

Legendary Member
£1.40 from Aldi, nice bit of grub. £15 a head starter main course etc, is enough for me.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
That's about the going rate around here, for an eat in sit down Indian meal. Which is why we don't do it very often.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
That sounds insane for north of England non-city centre location. I had an indian meal at a similar out of town place in Sheffield, very nicely kitted out, that I'd wanted to go and actually eat at for years last year and got a lot of rasping comments about £9 a main dish being too steep from my friends which really spoiled the meal. I think shouldn't be above a tenner (which is fine). The alcohol I can imagine varying as it's licensing.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
A basic local restaurant is about chicken madras £8. Rice £3. Naan £3. This can double in the posher places.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
From as little as £5 in Bradford. The food will be fine, but the decor won't impress your date and you won't be served in fine bone china.

£12-£18 for a to-be-seen-in place. That'll include a main course and a drink.

numbnuts

Legendary Member

stephec

Legendary Member
There's a new place just opened near me, top class food and service, and nicely decorated as well.

It's about £25.00 for a starter, main with rice and naan, and a couple of pints.

Well worth it.

marinyork

One could also of course ask the question, "Do you think restaurant staff should be paid a decent living wage or should they have to get by on a pittance?"

Whether a restaurant will actually tell you is interesting. Most service sector jobs say things like 'we pay above the going rate in the sector', even if in some cases it's blatantly untrue. If they were certified as national living wage they'd tell you though.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
To be fair the prices you've quoted seem a bit high, especially given your comments about quality and service.
I wouldn't expect to pay over £7 for a main, with sides, extras and drinks, etc on top at somewhere I've been going for years and it's consistently good.
Over £5 for a pint anywhere north of Watford is having a laugh though.

But you pays your money and makes your choice - sometimes it's worth pushing the boat out, from your comments I don't think you'll go back there will you?

marinyork

Next time either go by yourself or with 1 friend who isnt a tight arse.

Yeah absolutely. You do try though, they'd had a look quickly at the menu prices before they went. Was just an example of there are people that can get really obsessed with prices whatever the prices are. I thought the food was wonderful.

I got introduced to an Indian last year also that is sneakily just outside town, which I assume by the building location and size has lower rental and business rates. £7-8 a main dish. Really good, the cooks always say hello too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
£25 for a good meal for 3 properly cooked (not using the curry sauces from a big bucket) at Shajan on the A59 in Clayton le Dale, between Preston and Clitheroe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom