What do you think is a reasonable price at an Indian restaurant nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Here in Leicester you wouldn't pay more than £10 for a dish in a bog standard restaurant. There is a new crop of high end Indian restaurants who are coming up with innovative fine dining dishes which you can expect to pay up to £20 a go for.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Glossop has two Indian restaurants. One is your old skool flock wallpaper places. Tasty food if a little "traditional", mains are about £6. The other is a modern Indian, nice styling, nice presentation, some more innovative dishes. Mains are about £10

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
In Hertfordshire a small town restaurant that also does takeaway will charge around 5 pounds for a standard like a chicken Madras, up to about 7 to 9 pounds for special dishes. 3 pounds for rice. That sounds fairly average I think.

Depends on a lot of things though, some Indian restaurants bill themselves as finer dining with more innovative dishes and they'll be priced accordingly, some will have really high rents. There is no typical Indian restaurant in a way, any more than there's a standard English restaurant. I ate in Bombay Brasserie in London a few years ago, Indian meal for two, 120 pounds. It was good, but not that good. I think I was paying their rent mainly.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well...the last Indian meal I had was in Dudley, and I think two of us ate ourselves mad and spent less than £20. Between us, not each.
That's for poppadums, starters, main course, veggies and naans. And possibly kulfi.
That was a non-licensed Balti place, so we took our own beer.
Looking at the local takeaway, onion bajii, chicken tikka massala, some veggies and naan / rice / other starchy thing, you'd easy get change from £18. The local restaurants charge much the same, and about £4 a pint for Kingfisher or Cobra.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Oh, and TVC is right. We've driven to Leicester for a curry before.
A lot of the veggie dishes are incredible, even for someone (like me) who doesn't actually like vegetables all that much.
I have very fond memories of paneer tikka and dum aloo.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Of course, the cost can also be influenced if you go with a couple of mates and an acquaintance who orders the sharing starter for himself, then the chef's special main, a veritable piggery of sides and drinks Kingfisher like he's trying to drown in it.

And then suggests it would be easier just to split the bill 4 ways....and gets away with it!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
£8.50 for a main, in the decent Brighton suburban restaurant I was in on Friday night.
Sri India

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I know Indian meals (both take away and restaurant) seem to have risen in price dramatically in recent years.
Some friends took myself and Mrs Dave out to an Indian of their choosing last week. (our anniversary)
Bear in Mind this is Warrington AND NOT even town centre.
Restaurant was very nicely done out.
Service was good though (IMO) quite slow.
Food was good though a bit mean with the quantity of meat.
All main courses were approximately £14.00.
On top of that was rice and nan bread.
A pint of very average "Indian" lager was over £5.00
I have no idea what the starters cost.
So............leaving London with its sill prices out of it.....what (in your experience) is a reasonable price today.

Where did you go to? Prices at The Raj in Culcheth have increased since they moved premises, both for eating in and takeaways. The latter is around £18 for 4 poppadoms and two mains with rice. For eating in, IIRC Bombay 8 near Burtonwood/Gemini was cheaper than The Raj, or was last time we were there.
For eating in, both myself and Mrs B have been happy with the service in both places every time we have been. (Which has been a number of times).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
£20-25 a head in Hammersmith. Papadums, a main (£8-12), pilau rice, and a couple of beers or so. In a smart restaurant in central London, the sky's the limit.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4933585, member: 45"]Don't go to Akbar's in Leeds. Despite its reputation it's below rubbish.[/QUOTE]
Tharavadu was very good a few weeks ago, not cheap. Their Monsoon IPA was a bit rank though

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
4 corn on the cobs from the allotment is all i paid for tonight's meal . I got one back as a starter followed by a chicken main dish with bread stuff . He was slack on the beer but i can forgive him for that as he was also feeding his family at the time .
The joys of living next door to a chef :biggrin:
It was Indian food btw .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom