What do you think of Irn Bru???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It tastes like p155.

We moved to Malawi from Scotland in 1973 (I was 11). On the flight I was befriended by an old Scottish gentleman. When we landed for re-fueling at Nairobi (the old terminal) he said 'Come along with me, I want to show you something'. I followed him through a maze of dark corridors until we came to a glass door. He pulled a small key from his pocket and we walked through. Behind the door in a formerly unused space between the buildings was a carp pond. There was also a wooden bench and some potted plants. It was like a little oasis. He explained that, now retired, he spent most of his time traveling, particularly loved Africa and had spent so many hours waiting for connections that he'd had the whole pond shipped from Scotland and installed to give himself somewhere nice to sit and to relieve the boredom.

When it came time to go our separate ways he wrote his name and address on a scrap, handed it to my mother and urged us to stay in touch. 'Mr Barr? Anything to do with Irn Bru?' Joked my mum. 'Och aye' He said, 'That's me'.

We sent him Christmas cards for two or three years but he never responded.

Bastard.

bauldbairn

mickle said:
We moved to Malawi from Scotland in 1973 (I was 11). On the flight I was befriended by an old Scottish gentleman. When we landed for re-fueling at Nairobi (the old terminal) he said 'Come along with me, I want to show you something'. I followed him through a maze of dark corridors until we came to a glass door. He pulled a small key from his pocket and we walked through. Behind the door in a formerly unused space between the buildings was a carp pond. There was also a wooden bench and some potted plants. It was like a little oasis. He explained that, now retired, he spent most of his time traveling, particularly loved Africa and had spent so many hours waiting for connections that he'd had the whole pond shipped from Scotland and installed to give himself somewhere nice to sit and to relieve the boredom.

When it came time to go our separate ways he wrote his name and address on a scrap, handed it to my mother and urged us to stay in touch. 'Mr Barr? Anything to do with Irn Bru?' Joked my mum. 'Och aye' He said, 'That's me'.

We sent him Christmas cards for two or three years but he never responded.

Bastard.

:laugh:

Quite possibly Mr Barr - when we were kids at primary school in the 70's we walked to the original Barr factory in Falkirk(don't tell the Weegies) one sunny day. The only piece of the factory remaining was a gable end - which proudly displayed all the countries Barr exported to. Australia to Zimbabwe, I'm pretty sure Malawi and Kenya were on that list - we had to write them all down and find out where they were. ;)

tyred

Legendary Member
Mind you, that's the weight loss programme f***ed for another week...

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
It used to be said that Scotland and Brazil (I think) were the only countries in the world where a locally produced soft drink outsold Coca Cola.

gavintc

Guru
I drink it occasionally, but it is not a drink of choice. as many have stated - just too sweet. I tried the diet version, but do not really like it that much.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
tried it once - it's not for me.

Neither is Dr Pepper, nor Vimto.

Coca Cola only - and that's on rare occasions.

Top Bottom