What do you think of my product?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D
In the countryside at night a driver can see your red lights from behind and your white light from your front. Most of the lights made also have side visibility. At what angles / approaches and distances are these lights to be triggered and will they not be hidden by the rider's legs?

What problem of riding at night in the countryside are you trying to solve that hasn't already solved by the current legal requirements for bike lighting at night?
I'm trying to solve the problem to the number of crashes that happen because of motorists and animals

sleuthey

Legendary Member
It is an iteration of my product. It is a bottle holder made of cardboard which has a speaker to deter animals, light to deter animals and motorists, ultrasound sensors all around it which detect the animal or motorist and turn on the light and speaker. It also has a waterproof casing. I shall be much grateful if you could please let me know your ideas(good and bad features of this product, advantages and disadvantages of cardboard, improvements to product, what materials you think the final product should be made of etc) in detail below as this is for my GCSE Design Engineering coursework. The final product won't be made out of cardboard! Thank you!
View attachment 485362 View attachment 485363
So if the speaker is going to deter animals you will need a switch on the handlebar with one button to play a lions roar when you see a cat, a button to play a hounds bark when you see a fox and a button to play "passing on your right" when you see a human.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm trying to solve the problem to the number of crashes that happen because of motorists and animals
How many of each per year?

Lights
If the lights dazzle/blind the motorist, you leave yourself open to prosecution. At best you'll be asked to turn it off.

Sound
Ultrasound is blocked/bounced by solid objects, so won't be heard inside a vehicle.

The noise may be greater inside to the extent it will block any external sound.

How will either sound or light make a driver see you, acknowledging that you have right of way over them.

Certainly unique Deng, hope it does the trick for your GCSE.

OP
OP
D
How many of each per year?

Lights
If the lights dazzle/blind the motorist, you leave yourself open to prosecution. At best you'll be asked to turn it off.

Sound
Ultrasound is blocked/bounced by solid objects, so won't be heard inside a vehicle.

The noise may be greater inside to the extent it will block any external sound.

How will either sound or light make a driver see you, acknowledging that you have right of way over them.
The light is an indicator light, which shows the motorist to pass with care. The ultrasound is to detect the animal or motorist, and the indicator turns on when the motorist passes from behind. The sound is to detect the animal, Im thinking of an Infrared sensor to detect the animal, if the animal is detected, a bright light and sound will be played to deter that

The light is an indicator light, which shows the motorist to pass with care. The ultrasound is to detect the animal or motorist, and the indicator turns on when the motorist passes from behind. The sound is to detect the animal, Im thinking of an Infrared sensor to detect the animal, if the animal is detected, a bright light and sound will be played to deter that
I like this concept because as more 'silent' electric cars are on the roads we can't rely on hearing the engine noise alone. You are on to something.

johnnyb47

Guru
I personally don't think lights can get any better than they already are to be honest. Maybe longer battery life, but lights nowadays can be made to stupid intensities, where they can be more of danger by dazzling on coming motorists. Its education and awareness of motorists that's needed to prevent close passes and showing respect to us cyclists. Unfortunately though, you will always get that lunatic who will barge past you no matter what you do. No lights will stop bad behaviour of an impatient motorist. The only thing we as cyclists can do is make ourselves highly visible by using good lights that don't dazzle and reflective clothing and hope for the best

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I personally don't think lights can get any better than they already are to be honest. Maybe longer battery life, but lights nowadays can be made to stupid intensities, where they can be more of danger by dazzling on coming motorists. Its education and awareness of motorists that's needed to prevent close passes and showing respect to us cyclists. Unfortunately though, you will always get that lunatic who will barge past you no matter what you do. No lights will stop bad behaviour of an impatient motorist. The only thing we as cyclists can do is make ourselves highly visible by using good lights that don't dazzle and reflective clothing and hope for the best
I've worn one of these,
images-5.jpg

late night/early morning commutes, combined with extra lights on the bike. Still had them not seeing me on an unlit road.

Top Bottom