What do you tighten your nuts with? and why that tool?

What's the tool of choice that you carry with you?

• Park SS-15C Single Speed Spanner

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Cobra 'Peanut Butter' Spanner

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Surly Jethro Tule Multi Tool

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • A pedal spanner with a padded handle

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • An adjustable spanner with a padded handle

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A pedal spanner with a plain metal handle

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • An adjustable spanner with a plain metal handle

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I'm hard and use my teeth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm even harder and use someone else's teeth

• Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Pedros Trixie (Doh! How could I forget the trixie!)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
From Sheldon Brown -

There is some disagreement over which is the better direction to use a Crescent-type wrench -- whether the moveable jaw should be on the "pushing" side or the "pulling" side; I have taken part in long debates on this subject, and I know excellent mechanics on both sides of the question. In practice, however, it makes no real difference if you are using a wrench of good quality. Which way to put the wrench on should be determined by the accessibility of the nut or bolt you are trying to turn. In tight spaces, such as adjusting a seatpost bolt on a bicycle with a low saddle and a rear carrier, it may be necessary to keep flopping the wrench over, turning the nut 1/12 turn with each fetch.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/adjustable.html

Personally, I think these should only ever be used as last resort. Okay to carry a small one in your saddle bag or the boot of the car as it might come in handy somewhere but for you should have a set of proper fitting spanners for home use.

yello

Mole grips are just about my favourite tool ever... no sodding good for catching the little buggers but when you have, my lord they hold them good and tight!

Always carry a 15 mil ring and open end spanner with the ring being a ratchet type for quick undo/redo final adjustment with the open end ..

snailracer

Über Member
I would wager the vast majority of adjustable spanners in use are of questionable quality, so using them the "stronger" way round is good practical advice.

Bicycle

15mm combination on the rear of my fixed-wheel.

The front is QR.

The spanner comes from the canvas spanner roll that used to live in my car in the days when cars needed to be fixed.

It is old but good.

Davidc

Guru
Mole grips are for when nuts have been smoothed out into circles by your son using a maladjusted adjustable spanner on them.

Then you buy new nuts and try to educate him in the ways of correctly sized combination spanners!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
only one wheel on one bike of mine has a nut (qrs on three and wingnuts on another), so i just use one of those little spanners that is shaped like a dumbbell with all the different sizes of nut stamped into it, or rather i take that in the saddle pack.

i tend to use a large adjustable at home…

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Jeez, we're talking a spanner to carry and use on the road, so we're not talking about regular use here, any adjustable 6" wrench will do. I wouldn't use it in the garage but out on the road, for those odd moments, it's fine.

montage

God Almighty
Do you ever have absolutely no interest in a thread, yet find yourself clicking on it and reading it anyway, then think 'what the hell am I reading this for?'

P.S. I use an adjustable spanner, or a 15mm spanner

Top Bottom