What do you wear in winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

Hi so at the beginning of November I did a 60km ride wearing cycling shorts, a long-sleeve thin base layer/compression top, and t-shirt on top. Nothing else. It was alright overall, a bit cold at the beginning but no drama. I'm pretty warm in general and being 105kg I suffer the cold less than the average person.

Anyways, haven't been out on the bike since as weather sucked hard and other commitments in general.

Nevertheless, I bought some winter clothes that I'd like to use this weekend. FYI, I'm in Scotland and it's now much much colder than it was in November. I bought this pants and jersey and this merino base layer.

I was thinking to wear the pants, the base layer, then the long sleeve jersey on top of the layer, plus gloves and beanie under the helmet.

Do you reckon I'm going to need a winter windproof jacket too? Forecast say it's going to be 2 to 4 degrees on Saturday with low chances of rain.

IF I need a winter jacket, what do you suggest? Ideally something I can buy on Amazon since I can get next day delivery.

Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
Get a buff to go round your neck.
I don't need to wear anything under my helmet as I have lots of hair ^_^
2-4 degrees, I wear a LS running top, a thermal jersey and an Altura coat (oh and a bra :blush:)
Legs, thermal padded tights, Altura night vision unpadded tights over the top, 2 pairs of socks, winter gloves

If you get a coat, make sure it's windproof, not just water resistant

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Clothing choices are personal when riding bike, some run hot, some cold. For the windproof element you could look at a gilet as you often only want your core protected from wind. I'd suggest the tight weave ones rather than Windstopper as the latter can be a bit sweaty. They are compact and light

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Today I wore

Balaclava
Buff
Helmet
Waterproof Jacket
Gillet
Base Layer
Padded shorts
Leg warmers
Waterproof Trousers
Socks
MTB Shoes
Neoprine Overshoes
Waterproof Gloves

A windproof top is more breathable than any waterproof one and on cold damp days is a lot more comfortable.
In winter on longer rides, you have to factor in mechanical problems and other problems that stop you riding. You may chill very rapidly. Windshirts (eg made from pertex nylon) are warm and compact and multiple shirts create good insulation.

12boy

Guru
Cold is only 1/2 of the equation. Another half is the wind and the third half is precipitation. A waterproof shell will allow you to be warm with less layers, but will trap sweat unless Goretex. A breathable wind proof shell will roll up very small and may save you when unexpected wind arises. Keep your feet, ankles, hands, wrists head and neck warm as these areas lose heat quckly and when they are chilled so is the rest. The buff mentioned by Vickster is an excellent idea and I use one a lot in the winter. Consider your feet as the windchill on your feet and toes is considerable.
For example, I will go for a ride myself this morning around 10 am. It will be -4 Celsius with a 25 kph wind. Most of the road will be dry, but some covered with ice and snow on ice so it will a mtb with studded snows. Those heavy, rigid tires mean I will work hard and generate a lot of warm.
My ensemble will be cross country ski pants with thin poly merino long underwear, heavy wool socks with waterproof hiking boots, a merino long sleeve T with an old lighter weight wool sweater a windproof but quasi breathable fleece, the buff mentioned above, a medium and lightweight pair of wool stocking caps, wool glove liners and wool mittens that convert to fingerless gloves. I will take a 22oz double wall stainless water bottle with fairly hot water, which is nice in cold weather. If the bike du jour had SPDs I'd wear oversize Shimano mt shoes with heavy wool socks and a neoprene booty.
Colder yet and a balaclava would be nice, but the other stuff is good to about -13 Celsius.
Hope you enjoy your ride. Nice to have a bag on the bike that allows you to add or subtract clothing as the need arises, BTW.

Slioch

Guru
A windproof/waterproof jacket is the one thing that will make the biggest difference.

You needn't spend a fortune either. I'm on my 3rd Altura Nevis jacket, and it does me all year round - just adjust the number of layers underneath. A bit of Googling usually throws up a discount deal somewhere.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Same as I wear in summer, plus extra layers. So, bib longs over the shorts (double layer adds warmth where it's needed), extra, long-sleeved jersey or two, and/or a wind or waterproof jacket. Overshoes, full gloves. I'll swap my usual cotton cap for a traditional winter one with the ear/neck flap,

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

I don't need to wear anything under my helmet as I have lots of hair ^_^

Plenty hair and beard myself so my head/face/neck are quite protected haha :laugh:

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

A windproof/waterproof jacket is the one thing that will make the biggest difference.

You needn't spend a fortune either. I'm on my 3rd Altura Nevis jacket, and it does me all year round - just adjust the number of layers underneath. A bit of Googling usually throws up a discount deal somewhere.

Oh I like this Altura Nevis Jacket. They've got my size (XXXL) and colour I like (black) on Amazon so might go for that and see how I get on.

Same as I wear in summer, plus extra layers. So, bib longs over the shorts (double layer adds warmth where it's needed), extra, long-sleeved jersey or two, and/or a wind or waterproof jacket. Overshoes, full gloves. I'll swap my usual cotton cap for a traditional winter one with the ear/neck flap,
Layering multiple cycle tops can result is multiple rear pockets which are totally useless and not very comfortable. In winter i prefer general hiking outdoors inner layers without rear pockets. Higher zip necks are useful.

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ends-joey-wearing-chandlers-clothes.gif?crop=1xw:0.gif

dhd.evans

Veteran
Layer up. I'm in Dundee and temps have been all over the shop the last month or so (start -1c some days, 11c the next...).

Standard winter kit for me at the minute from top to bottom:

Noggin
Cycling cap (generic DHB one, nothing)

Neck
Buff (generic one from Amazon)

Body
Long sleeve base layer (Aldi special buy from approximately 12 years ago, fraying but does the job)
Long sleeve top (bought a couple of winter ones from Vogue Cycling. Not too heavy, not too light, keeps you cosy)
If it's really cold i'll put my Aldi special buy winter jacket on, but that's only if it's snowing out!

Digits
SealSkinz Gauntlets (arguably overkill but i'd rather have warm fingers than cold ones)
If it happens to be a little warmer then it's Defeet Dura gloves - nothing fancy.

On ma belly and hocks
Bib longs (FDX jobbies from Amazon for interest)

Over ma belly and hocks
A pair of XL cycling trousers on top (Aldi special buy that was/is too big but goes well over other stuff)

Tootsies
Defeet Woolie Boolies (not essential, but not bad either)
Generic Shimano Shoes (like, not winter boots or anything)
Neoprene overshoes (Aldi special buy from a few seasons ago)

I am not a skinny whippet either (coming in at about 94-96kg these days) so the winter padding helps.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This weekends winter riding I was a wearing.

Sealskinz Socks. (Waterproofy and toasty warm)
Bib Knicks 3/4's. I much prefer 3/4's to longs.
Vest base layer
Long Sleeve Merino jersey
Winter jacket
Gloves
Buff
Cycling cap (if below zero temps I will wear a woolly hat over the cap)
Normal cycling shoes (below zero temps I wear Spesh defroster boots)

That lot seems to do me fine during the winter months.

I *do* feel the cold... But, it's so individual. Either way here's a few tips / thoughts:

1) Lots of light layers are better than one or two heavy ones
2) A winter jacket is a good investment
3) Windproof / waterproof gloves likewise a good investment
4) Buff to stop the nasty draughts down the neck of your jacket
5) Fleece beanie
6) Cycling glasses to keep cold wind etc out of eyes
7) Sturdy footwear, preferably waterproof.

My ethos is I'd rather be too warm than too cold. It's much easier to remove a layer you don't want than to let your core temperature drop. No point feeling miserable, and then it takes *ages* to get warm again.

Top Bottom