What do you wear in winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Or Italians

I'm one of them, with a 48 inch chest :hello:

Cycling cap (if below zero temps I will wear a woolly hat over the cap)

Cap, woolly hat and helmet?
If so i can't be the only one wanting a pic.

For feet am a great fan of lidl toastie synthetic socks. With another pair of thin thin (otherwise useless) socks underneath if needed.

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

At the end, I went out for 3 and half hour ride this weekend (2 degrees Celsius and windy all the time) and wore:

- a merino baselayer
- a long bib with long sleeve top (not a winter one)
- a buff
- a pair of gym socks underneath my vans

I wasn't that cold at all. Definitely I won't need any windproof/waterproof/winter jacket...a gilet at most. Definitely will need to use an additional pair of socks. And most definitely will need to find a way to protect my jewels: either thermal underwear or pouring coffee down the bib will work :laugh:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
has anyone ever purchased anything from "uglyfrog"?

Yes. All sent back or sold.

I donā€™t know how they measure up but it is miniature. I am short but have a 41ā€ chest so it doesnā€™t work with the patterns they use out in China. You may have to go two sizes up. I have muscley arms and these were tubes made for stick men. Really uncomfortable everywhere.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Fridays club soft shell jacket (made by Force GB). Showerproof only so light waterproof in rack pack. One or two thin wool layers underneath (depending how cold it is). Cycling trousers. Forgotten what brand, basically they are tracky bottoms. Arse has been repaired with iron-on patches where I have worn through it. BTwin shorts underneath. Thick socks, gloves (Decathlon ones at the moment), Northwave Celcius boots. Retro reflective ankle bands as it's normally dark for part of my rides this year.

Also I carry a couple of buffs that can be worn in various ways if conditions call for them - but they can lead to overheating if not really needed.

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Yes. All sent back or sold.

I donā€™t know how they measure up but it is miniature. I am short but have a 41ā€ chest so it doesnā€™t work with the patterns they use put in China. You may have to go two sizes up. I have muscley arms and these were tubes made for stick men. Really uncomfortable everywhere.

Thanks for the heads up. I will avoid their stuff then. Cheers!

MonsterEnergy

i have back and front lights for the dark and a bottle holder. i normally just wear jeans a tishirt and a hoodie but, when its wet i prefer proper bike clothes

MonsterEnergy

as i dont have much money, what does everyone suggest that i should buy?
thanks for everyones interest and support

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully

The first thing is to try and make do with what you already have

Secondly, look out for bargains and buy in advance - don't buy seasonally. Winter clothing is a lot cheaper in the spring.

Also remember, you don't have to buy bike specific gear to use on the bike

For example, recently I bought a pair of snow boots (to replace my old ones) from M & M Direct for a tenner. These are excellent not only for snow but winter muddy MTB rides too.

Avoid jeans if possible. thin breathable layers are better

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My view is that when it comes to winter gear, getting cycling-specific stuff is much less important. Decent gloves, warm layers, warm socks and so can be picked up cheap at outdoor shops. There's nothing bike-specific about them.

The cheapest and most effective bit of winter kit that I'd recommend is a buff. Round your neck or up over your ears it has a tremendous effect. For very cold conditions those chemical hand-warmers that look like big teabags I find effective.

Top Bottom