What do you wear in winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Depends on how hard you ride too
going to work last night 0.5 c
buff
ss base layer
arm warmers
roubaix ls jersey
gilet
bib tights
unpadded roubaix bib tights
shoes
overshoes
liner gloves
winter gloves

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Layering multiple cycle tops can result is multiple rear pockets which are totally useless and not very comfortable. In winter i prefer general hiking outdoors inner layers without rear pockets. Higher zip necks are useful.
I'm puzzled as to how empty pockets can be even noticeable. I dislike filling my pockets with stuff. That's what a saddlebag is for.

Tom B

Guru
Just about to head out (to work)

Winter cycling booties
Non cycling specific thermal socks with a merino content.
Altura thermal tights
Standard next gruds
Btwin thermal baselayer
Altura thermal top
Mavic windproof jacket
Waterproof shell (not actually raining so I'll stiff that in a pocket)
Altura Thermal gloves.
Mavic cap
Helmet
Will take aldi helmet cover incase of another does of the biblical rail we had yesterday.
Alpkit Goudon "turkey and two bottles of wine" Bag
Bag will contain spare gloves, spare socks, tee-shirt sandwiches, 5x weetabix, flask of milk, library books, and probably a selection of nappies wipes and poo bags

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Layer up. I'm in Dundee and temps have been all over the shop the last month or so (start -1c some days, 11c the next...).

Standard winter kit for me at the minute from top to bottom:

Noggin
Cycling cap (generic DHB one, nothing)

Neck
Buff (generic one from Amazon)

Body
Long sleeve base layer (Aldi special buy from approximately 12 years ago, fraying but does the job)
Long sleeve top (bought a couple of winter ones from Vogue Cycling. Not too heavy, not too light, keeps you cosy)
If it's really cold i'll put my Aldi special buy winter jacket on, but that's only if it's snowing out!

Digits
SealSkinz Gauntlets (arguably overkill but i'd rather have warm fingers than cold ones)
If it happens to be a little warmer then it's Defeet Dura gloves - nothing fancy.

On ma belly and hocks
Bib longs (FDX jobbies from Amazon for interest)

Over ma belly and hocks
A pair of XL cycling trousers on top (Aldi special buy that was/is too big but goes well over other stuff)

Tootsies
Defeet Woolie Boolies (not essential, but not bad either)
Generic Shimano Shoes (like, not winter boots or anything)
Neoprene overshoes (Aldi special buy from a few seasons ago)

I am not a skinny whippet either (coming in at about 94-96kg these days) so the winter padding helps.

Aye, temperatures have been wild in Edinburgh too. If you're not using a winter jacket, then chances are I won't need one either. I'll just get a quality thermal winter jersey and take it from there.

If I go out on the weekend and I'm cold, then I'll keep adding one extra layer at a time until I find my comfort zone. Don't want to buy things I won't end up needing.

By the way, THANKS for mentioning Vogue Cycling...didn't know them and their stuff looks pretty good. Very stylish and classic, sober colours. Much better than all the fluorescent red and yellow garbage you see everywhere on the internet and even worse on the road :laugh:

dhd.evans

Veteran
By the way, THANKS for mentioning Vogue Cycling...didn't know them and their stuff looks pretty good. Very stylish and classic, sober colours. Much better than all the fluorescent red and yellow garbage you see everywhere on the internet and even worse on the road :laugh:

No worries! Their stuff is good quality IMHO (i've got two winter thermal long sleeve jerseys from them, a couple of pairs of specs and a short sleeve jersey) but the delivery times are awful. Like, if you're used to Amazon or ever Royal Fail delivery times think longer - i waited about 4 weeks for a delivery once and 2-3 weeks is not uncommon.

Still, their customer service is pretty sharp and communicative.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Adidas tracksuit bottoms.
North Face generico waterproof jacket
Adidas hoodie underneath said jacket.
Gloves if it is cold enough

Gunk

Guru
I’ve been mostly wearing Decathlon winter cycling leggings with my old very unstylish baggy Specialized MTB shorts over the top (pockets are really useful)
Merino wool base layer, long sleeve T shirt, North Face mid layer and cheap Decathlon windpoof jacket.
Regular cycling socks, Muddy Fox MTB shoes.
Cheap Decathlon gloves

Comfortable and warm as toast!

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

I can't understand sizes in cycling clothing.

Just been to Evans and tried out a XXL thermal jersey....felt like an overstuffed sausage. An XL endura one looked like something that would fit my 12 year old cousin.

As a comparison, my regular tshirts from h&m are size L. Shirts I go from L to XL.

What is wrong with cycling clothing sizes? :laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
At this time of year I'm wearing the following:
Long sleeved base layer​
Padded bib shorts​
Buff​
Non padded fleecy lined bib longs​
Summer shirt​
Breathable wicking winter jacket​
Merino wool socks​
Waterproof socks​
Overshoes​
Gloves​
Cap​

I would argue the breathable wicking jacket is the most important. Mine is wind/shower proof and carries a lot of sweat away from my body. Even on a dry day the jacket will be wet from sweat on the outside.

The above will keep me warm all day unless it's damp in which case I'll start to feel chilly around 55/60 miles -that's four hours on the bike

Your base layer looks good. I would be cold without a quality windproof winter jacket using what you describe. I think it's essential for the jacket to wick. I have a very nice non-wicking one which I rarely wear as it's too hot in warm weather and cold in winter.

My tip would be to carry a spare base layer. At the café I put this on underneath what I already am wearing. This gives a dry layer next to the skin. Helps a great deal. It's sweat on the skin which makes me cold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom