What do your garden birds enjoy eating?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've bought 9 loaves of white bread,wholemeal bread,seeded batch and hovis over the last two days. All were 6p each as they were for sale at closing time in the local supermarket. I'll take a couple out with me whenever i go out and just break up and chuck the slices around the local park and cemetery. I've bought the bird seed,fat balls stuff,but most of it tends to get left,yet the bread always gets eaten.

Edit..Yes i know the local park and cemetery aren't 'my garden',but those birds i'm feeding might just fly into your garden!:okay:

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There's an abundance of berries, seeds, and insect life available on the farm here because of the way its managed.

No pesticides, or herbicides,- even 1/4 acre of standing sunflowers with their seeds available, plus all the varieties of wild plants that the neat freaks will insist on calling 'weeds'
Loads of trees planted for shelter, and fruit too.

But I was really pleased to see one of those massed bunches of finches, green, gold, and some other sorts, marauding the gone to seed lettuces, for their seeds in late autumn.
Feels like a big bonus, from just leaving things be, where possible,

And there's often several pairs of buzzards circling, or being mobbed by crows, I guess there's a lot of voles available for them in the long grass field margins.

Green woodpeckers in standing deadwood.

And so many owls, it can be a bit deafening at times..

'Standard' farming practice has tidied things up so much, that there's barely any room (or forage) left for birdlife.
It's not really the farmers fault they are just trying to produce commodity food on impossibly tight margins.
But its decimating the birds food sources and habitat .. It's the bug life at the bottom of the food chain that's key.

Slightly more wild and woolly gardens are really good for birds, for sure .

But maybe instead of buying expensive bird food, ppl could consider the kind of food they buy for themselves, and whether it's production is helping all the birds out there, in the wider world..

eg a bit of organic British beef, or lamb, or dairy produce, same of vegetables would make a contribution, and taste nice for you too.

(sorry I think I ended up writing a mini treatise - that was meant for elsewhere - but I'll let it stand:shy:)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
We have a couple of those "squirrel proof" feeders which work well.
We sometimes grease the poles and get some entertainment from that.
AND.....I have an air rifle.

I found that hanging a couple of strips of bacon fat over the branch the feeder hangs from deters squirrels. I've watched them scoot along the branch, heading for the peanut feeder, only to stop dead at the bacon. A couple of sniffs and they go into a full speed retreat.

There's no need to shoot them!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The Grey Squirrel was actually imported as a food source. :hungry:

I know.. And they forage pretty 'clean' wild food - they don't rummage in bins to my knowledge.

So why not eat them?

Grey skwurls are a menace to newly planted, or regenerating woodland.

Plus they make it near impossible to produce a viable commercial nut crop on this country (bad news for the folks who want non meat, but local sources of protein)

So us eating more of the furry tailed darlings would make a lot of sense :okay:

Chris S

Legendary Member
I don't know about the birds but my neighbour's cat enjoys eating them.

slowwww

Veteran
We put out fat balls, fat squares with mealworms, mixed seeds, niger seeds but not peanuts or we are inundated with squirrels and parakeets.

We also have a bird table that we put out any other left over food. Cereal, porridge, roast potatoes, spag bol, curry, pastry etc. It all goes!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Goldfinches LOVE Niger seeds.
Mealworms are taken by Magpies, blackbirds, starlings, robins and any other insect eaters
A suet block in my garden is eaten in less than a day by starlings
Blue tits and great tits eat suet balls, pellets and blocks (when they can get near them!)
Sparrows and finches will take mixed seeds. I get a big sack from Wilkos, which has a lot of wheat in it, and add peanuts (the pigeons & doves like them), black and striped sunflower seeds, mealworms, suet sticks and some better quality mixed seeds to improve the overall quality.
Yes, the problem is (as I see it) you want to feed them but you dont want everything gone in a day.
We used to get flocks of Goldfinches but the odd one now if we are lucky. TBH I think the last bag of niger seed was poor. Maybe I should try again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We put out fat balls, fat squares with mealworms, mixed seeds, niger seeds but not peanuts or we are inundated with squirrels and parakeets.

We also have a bird table that we put out any other left over food. Cereal, porridge, roast potatoes, spag bol, curry, pastry etc. It all goes!
We got rid of our bird table as the squirrels and magpies would just clear up in no time.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've bought 9 loaves of white bread,wholemeal bread,seeded batch and hovis over the last two days. All were 6p each as they were for sale at closing time in the local supermarket. I'll take a couple out with me whenever i go out and just break up and chuck the slices around the local park and cemetery. I've bought the bird seed,fat balls stuff,but most of it tends to get left,yet the bread always gets eaten.

Edit..Yes i know the local park and cemetery aren't 'my garden',but those birds i'm feeding might just fly into your garden!:okay:
But I dont want pigeons and gulls in my garden^_^

Top Bottom