What does SPD SL actually stand for??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
After googling it I understand SPD to stand for Shimano Pedal Dynamics.......but what does the SL stand for??
It would appear the the SL cleats have 3 fixings and are for roadies.........but why ? My shoes have 2 fixings and I use them on my road bike.
I have read through the "clipless" thread and couldn't find the answer there.

I always thought that the SL stood for Standard Look type system - Look pedals popularised the large triangular cleat system which gives a better contact betwix shoe and pedal.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thanks---------but why are SLs supposed to be for roadies and SPDs for MTBs.........as I say I use SPDs on my road bike??

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it stands for Sadly Lacking. As in not SPD-Rs which are no longer available

Thanks---------but why are SLs supposed to be for roadies and SPDs for MTBs.........as I say I use SPDs on my road bike??

Roadies are supremely honed athletes who do super-human mileages unlike their slovenly nobbly tyred counterparts. As such, Roadies find that the larger cleats offer a more efficient transfer of power and a reduction in the problem of hot spots.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Roadies are supremely honed athletes who do super-human mileages unlike their slovenly nobbly tyred counterparts. As such, Roadies find that the larger cleats offer a more efficient transfer of power and a reduction in the problem of hot spots.
Ah-gotcha.
I have just stripped off and looked at myself in the mirror........I guess I'll stick with SPDs:thanks:

Top Bottom