What does the springy bit do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
While ordering some new disc pads for my Rose, I noticed some pads have a spring and some do not.

The Magura pads on the bike slide into the calliper just as they are.

Most Shimano pads have a spring, as can be seen in the link below.

What does the spring do?

http://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&

Anti-rattle clip

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks.

Looks like the spring type could be fiddly to fit.

The Maguras on my Rose look straightforward, although the new pads haven't arrived yet.

And it is me working on a bicycle, so experience suggests there will be a snag somewhere.

Thanks.

Looks like the spring type could be fiddly to fit.

The Maguras on my Rose look straightforward, although the new pads haven't arrived yet.

And it is me working on a bicycle, so experience suggests there will be a snag somewhere.

Doddle for a skilled person such as your good self. Don't forget to push the pistons back with a ring spanner (or something like) before fitting those new pads

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Doddle for a skilled person such as your good self. Don't forget to push the pistons back with a ring spanner (or something like) before fitting those new pads

Ah, a ring spanner - I was wondering what I might use to ease back the pistons.

On cars we used to use a tyre lever, but as that's an inch wide and about 18 inches long, it might be a bit too big.

Pads haven't arrived yet.

The excitement and anticipation - at least in my little world - is palpable.

Tom B

Guru
Ah, a ring spanner - I was wondering what I might use to ease back the pistons.

On cars we used to use a tyre lever, but as that's an inch wide and about 18 inches long, it might be a bit too big.

You can actually get proper piston spreading tools

352606?w=637&h=403.jpg

My LBS has a different variation that worked like circlip pliers with flat paddles. Just dont go daft with the pressure. Personally I use a spanner to push back and poundcoins in tape as bleed spacers.

keithmac

Guru
I use circlip pliers on the motorbikes, works a treat.

If you have to put a lot of effort in to push them back the caliper need stripping..

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A little Discobrakes jiffy bag was on the doormat when I arrived home from my day's toil.

Fitting the new pads proved straightforward.

The pistons eased back smoothly, and no fluid came out of the handlebar reservoir.

The new pads fitted as they should.

I've only done a static test, but the wheel stops when I yank the lever and spins freely when I release it.

The lever bites a bit earlier, which I suppose you would expect.

It appears the job's a good 'un - pending a road test.

Previous pads lasted about 5,000 miles, not bad for a heavy ebike (and rider).

Thanks to everyone for your interest and to those on other threads who recommended Discobrakes as a supplier.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bit of a tip. Leave the old pads in place and you can use a flat bladed screwdriver in between them to push the pistons back in. The damage you cause to the pad material or backing plate doesn't matter as they are going in the bin anyway. Do not use anything metallic or sharp to push against a bare piston. Some of them are ceramic and can chip really easily.

There's lots of ways of pushing pistons ,they all do the job. I just prefer the spanner approach, it's a personal thing. Somewhere we have one of the park tool spreaders. The fact that I said 'somewhere' tells you how often it gets used.
Had to change some pads this morning. Chaps been teaching his 5 year old grandson how to look after his bike. It seems little lad then went and helpfully (and liberally) oiled his grandads hydraulic brake callipers in case they squeaked.

Top Bottom