What does this signify?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyrill666

Having a mooch around Dumfries and Galloway I spotted this national cycle network sign and wondered what is denoted by the lower cycle image, any ideas?

Attachments

• 20190808_132452.jpg
    20190808_132452.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 18
Cant find any symbol for an all terrain wheelchair but that's what it looks like to me

OP
OP
Cyrill666

Cyrill666

Here's a better photo. It does look like it's part of the original sign rather than a sticker. Also, it was on all signs along the route. It was near Clatteringshaws Loch.

I'll ask sustrans for more info....

Attachments

• 20190809_154620.jpg
    20190809_154620.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Cyrill666

Cyrill666

Just to close the thread, Sustrans said...

Hi Gary, a very good question! It puzzled us too but our team in Scotland has let us know that it denotes the route of the inventor of the pedal bicycle, the Kirkpatrick Macmillan trail. It was constructed to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the pedal bicycle in 1990 and passes through Keir Mill, the birthplace of the first bicycle and ends at Drumlanrig Castle and Country Estate, where Kirkpatrick used to work as a blacksmith. A replica of Kirkpatrick Macmillan’s bike is on display in the Reception.
http://www.drumlanrigcastle.co.uk/outdoor-activities/mountain-biking/
I think it's related to the Buccleugh Estates. Largest landowner in Scotland, or thereabouts.

Top Bottom