What essential kit should I take on a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Scotty55
I hope you don't take this the wrong way*, but your predicament highlights an important issue in my book.

Often, the solution to a problem is not new equipment, but a better understanding of what we have.

In this case, a lack of practise.

I'm far from mechanically minded and like to tour away from home - two incompatibles!^_^
I taught myself the basics (Youtube can be great!), and developed my skills. My enjoyment increased immesurably not because I needed to constantly fix things, but because I knew I could handle the most likely problems. My head was free, at least of those problems.

* On my first self supported bike adventure in Germany I had my first ever puncture. I didn't even have a puncture kit (because I wouldn't know how to use it!)^_^

As well as skills, you may like to consider likely puncture sources (edge of the road, broken glass etc.) and ride accordingly, or do a post ride tire inspection looking for little buggers that will work through the tyre over time.
Oh! And always check the inside of the tyre for whatever caused the puncture. A little wad of cotton wool can work a treat!
Oh again! If you cycle at night do you have some way of lighting to help changing tubes?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Talc the tyre inside when new, and do the same to tubes being fitted. Come a change, on the road, put a little air in the new tube, and then push into the tyre. The talc stops stuff sticking. Try and fit most of the tyre by hand and only use levers carefully at the end if needed. Then go round pushing the bead of the tyre and look for pinched tube. The talc stops the tubes sticking under the bead.

A tube change should be well under 10 minutes, from start to finish. Practice makes perfect.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Practice. Have a tyre changing evening... it might sound like a terrible evening's entertainment, but give it a go, it's actually more fun than it sounds... (I did this with my wife before she did Ride The Night a few years back, and it was quite fun for her to do something different and get better at something):

Get some beer in, music on the stereo, and your bike in the front room. Now get comfy, everything to hand including a spare tube, then whip that wheel off and swap the tubes around, and time the whole process (but don't rush). Watch GCN or Park Tool YouTube clips of the process if you forget anything.
Repeat it 3 to 4 times and watch your time reduce from 20 minutes to 5 as you get the hang of it. You'll feel yourself getting more confident in one relaxed, dry, comfortable evening, then your next "live" change will hold no fear.

If you like, you could also get an old tube and practice repairs on that as well. Puncture it with a needle and practice finding and patching the hole.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS, when getting new tyres etc, do the talc'ing outside...... works for me on MTB and road. I don't talc spare tubes that are in my backpack/spares, but as the inside of the tyre is 'done' come a flat, nothing is getting 'stuck'.

It really is simple. Also, double check the inside of the tyre for thorns etc if you've had an un-expected flat, and glass - sometimes tricky.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You have large volume tyres. So a small low volume pump isn’t really going to cut it. As stated up thread look for something with a longer wider barrel that can mount to your bike or fit in your commuting luggage.

Drago

Legendary Member
What essential kit to take on a ride? Well, I find a bike to be a rather handy item to have with me...

Seriously though, it depends on the circumstances, the distance, whether or not a 15 minite delay will crucify you, etc. For example, when I used to commute it was a little under 9 miles each way - I ran slime and armoured tyres, and was happy to take the risk on the basis that punctures were unlikely with that set up, and worst scenario was I had to walk a bit. In the end I never had a flat - a few punctures, but no deflations.

For a sportive, say, I would do different. The belt and braces set up is a bit leaden, so not ideal for long distances. That being the case I would definitely want spare tube, kit, levers, micro pump, etc.

It all depends on the riding your doing, the risks you're prepared to accept, and your own partocular comfort zone with respect to that. Only you know where you sit on that scale of comfort.

You are probably not seating the beads of the tyre inside the rim before pumping.
Pinch each side into the middle of the rim. Press the valve into the rim and pull out to seat the tyre beads under the valve.
Pump up a bit and inspect the seated bead.

A small handpump is usually good enough to get you home.

Practice tube changes at home. First the front wherl then the back wheel.

OP
OP
S

Scotty55

What essential kit to take on a ride? Well, I find a bike to be a rather handy item to have with me...

Seriously though, it depends on the circumstances, the distance, whether or not a 15 minite delay will crucify you, etc. For example, when I used to commute it was a little under 9 miles each way - I ran slime and armoured tyres, and was happy to take the risk on the basis that punctures were unlikely with that set up, and worst scenario was I had to walk a bit. In the end I never had a flat - a few punctures, but no deflations.

For a sportive, say, I would do different. The belt and braces set up is a bit leaden, so not ideal for long distances. That being the case I would definitely want spare tube, kit, levers, micro pump, etc.

It all depends on the riding your doing, the risks you're prepared to accept, and your own partocular comfort zone with respect to that. Only you know where you sit on that scale of comfort.

15 minute delay would be a bit touch-and-go - I'm a teacher and need time to shower, change and get the class set up for the pupils.

I'll certainly try some practice changes at the weekend. Either that or SWMBO will find something else for me to do....

Chislenko

Veteran
I like to carry a framed 8 X 10 oil on canvas of Princess Michael of Kent.

Then if I can't fix the tyre at least I can look at the picture and try and fathom out why she has a man's name.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
15 minute delay would be a bit touch-and-go - I'm a teacher and need time to shower, change and get the class set up for the pupils.

I'll certainly try some practice changes at the weekend. Either that or SWMBO will find something else for me to do....
It seems the kit you carry is perfectly adequate though myself I would carry two tubes, a multi-tool and a pair of tweezers for removing thorns etc from a tyre. It does sound as though you need a better pump. I always have the kit packed on my bike and don't subscribe to packing less for shorter distances.

Possibly you should factor in delay time? I can change a tube pretty quickly but things do go wrong and 10-15 minutes easily passes. Your commute time is critical to your job so if you find you need 15 minutes to change a tube consider always leaving 15 minutes early or accept you may not get a shower till lunchtime! Think I'd go with the second option!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

It's very unlikely though.

If you have resistant tyres the likelihood of getting a puncture is very low indeed. Maybe one in 10,000 miles or less from my own commuting.

In the last ten years of commuting 10 miles each way, I've met about as many fallen trees as I've had punctures on the commute (2 or three of each).

Dan77

Lezyne pumps are generally pretty good.

I love co2 for roadside repairs though. It gives high pressure quickly. With a pump I find I generally settle for a lower pressure than I would like because it's a pain to keep pumping forever when you want to be riding. With the co2 it's effortless and quick.

I use this one because it has a trigger so that you can control how much is released. It also insulates your hand as the co2 cartridges freeze up and you don't want your hand on them when they do. You can also keep what's left for your next puncture (tested over a month to show that it doesn't lose any co2).
https://www.tweekscycles.com/genuine-innovations-ultraflate-co2-inflator-caminult20/

As for the process of changing tyres, it's not generally difficult once you know what you're doing. Watch some youtube videos and have a practice.

I actually don't mind fixing punctures at all. It's still going to be easier to jump in a Land Rover though.

Keep an extra spare tyre at work and home so you can patch the tube in your own time.
Carry a small multitool with a slim blade ( eg Swiss Army Knife small blade) to pick out slivers of glass and flint. You should always check the tyre for sharps but take care. A pliers style tool is useful but avoid locking blades.
Carry a couple of pairs of surgical gloves to keep your hands clean, and a sachet of hand cleanser.

Big John

Guru
CO2 every day of the week. Takes a few nanoseconds to inflate a tyre but I also carry a mini pump just in case. I throw in a few nylon zip ties for securing anything that might fall off, usually mudguards. And a chain splitter. Thinking about it I might just as well fit a rack on the back and stick my tool box on it 🤔

Top Bottom