What essential kit should I take on a ride?

Ridgeway

A Shimano neutral service car is all you need:laugh:

As others have said, practice and Co2 is what i'd suggest. I take a controllable Co2 valve so i can inflate the tyre slowly and to a desired pressure (no gauge just finger press test), this and 2 Co2 cartridges as well as a small pump.

MichaelW2

Veteran
CO2 every day of the week. Takes a few nanoseconds to inflate a tyre but I also carry a mini pump just in case. I throw in a few nylon zip ties for securing anything that might fall off, usually mudguards. And a chain splitter. Thinking about it I might just as well fit a rack on the back and stick my tool box on it 🤔
Ziptie and ductape. Wrap some ductape around your pump. Uses are too many to mention.

si_c

Veteran
For commuting, CO2 is the best option, but you need to know how to use it. Inflate the tube slightly with the pump and make sure the inner tube isn't trapped under the tyre bead then inflate with the gas. One cannister should get you at the right pressure more or less.

LisaG71

Regular
this is the ERT (every ride kit) that I plan to take

two small pumps
(expensive and cheap)
patches
first aid kit
small survival kit (small tarp, electrolyte powder, pancord, a small wood collapsible stove, a blow-up cushion to sit on, a thermal blanket)
solar changer
cords
water
food of some sort
rain gear
meds and test kit (low sugar issues)
a sweatshirt
multi-tool
cash
a small bottle of rubbing alcohol (which the bike shop suggested to me)

longer outings I will add some of the stuff below

I also watched some videos on youtube here is the list one of the posters recommended.
Spare tube
patch ket
multitool/chain fixer
zip lock bag
mini pump
cash (local area)
sunglasses
chain lube

Top Bottom