What essential kit should I take on a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A Shimano neutral service car is all you need:laugh:

As others have said, practice and Co2 is what i'd suggest. I take a controllable Co2 valve so i can inflate the tyre slowly and to a desired pressure (no gauge just finger press test), this and 2 Co2 cartridges as well as a small pump.

CO2 every day of the week. Takes a few nanoseconds to inflate a tyre but I also carry a mini pump just in case. I throw in a few nylon zip ties for securing anything that might fall off, usually mudguards. And a chain splitter. Thinking about it I might just as well fit a rack on the back and stick my tool box on it 🤔
Ziptie and ductape. Wrap some ductape around your pump. Uses are too many to mention.

si_c

Guru
For commuting, CO2 is the best option, but you need to know how to use it. Inflate the tube slightly with the pump and make sure the inner tube isn't trapped under the tyre bead then inflate with the gas. One cannister should get you at the right pressure more or less.

LisaG71

Regular
this is the ERT (every ride kit) that I plan to take

two small pumps
(expensive and cheap)
patches
first aid kit
small survival kit (small tarp, electrolyte powder, pancord, a small wood collapsible stove, a blow-up cushion to sit on, a thermal blanket)
solar changer
cords
water
food of some sort
rain gear
meds and test kit (low sugar issues)
a sweatshirt
multi-tool
cash
a small bottle of rubbing alcohol (which the bike shop suggested to me)

longer outings I will add some of the stuff below

I also watched some videos on youtube here is the list one of the posters recommended.
Spare tube
patch ket
multitool/chain fixer
zip lock bag
mini pump
cash (local area)
sunglasses
chain lube

Lee_M

Guru
this is the ERT (every ride kit) that I plan to take

two small pumps
(expensive and cheap)
patches
first aid kit
small survival kit (small tarp, electrolyte powder, pancord, a small wood collapsible stove, a blow-up cushion to sit on, a thermal blanket)
solar changer
cords
water
food of some sort
rain gear
meds and test kit (low sugar issues)
a sweatshirt
multi-tool
cash
a small bottle of rubbing alcohol (which the bike shop suggested to me)

longer outings I will add some of the stuff below

I also watched some videos on youtube here is the list one of the posters recommended.
Spare tube
patch ket
multitool/chain fixer
zip lock bag
mini pump
cash (local area)
sunglasses
chain lube

Every ride?

You take a stove to the shops?

Does anyone carry upland hiking style emergency bivouac kit when cycling off road in upland areas?
The rubbing alcohol is probably most useful to help light the damp twigs in the wood stove using the bic lighter you forgot to pack. Hand disinfectant wipes do the same.
I have packed an alcohol stove where foraging for seafood is a possibility but never for just riding along.

cambsno

One warning about CO2 is that while it's undeniably quick and handy, it runs out. Last summer, two weeks in succession, I stopped to lend my pump to people who had carried CO2 but had used it all up. So if taking CO2, take a pump as well. Or trust to luck that I'll be riding your way ;)

On the subject of stoves, I've never used one that was not in a kitchen. I generally take peanut butter and marmite sandwiches out with me, and serve them cold.

But 2 canisters should be enough. I practiced on an old tube with one, dead easy to do and cant see how you would need more than that?

cambsno

Do people always take an inner tube with them or a repair kit, or both?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
For commuting, CO2 is the best option, but you need to know how to use it. Inflate the tube slightly with the pump and make sure the inner tube isn't trapped under the tyre bead then inflate with the gas. One cannister should get you at the right pressure more or less.

Why not just carry a pump? It’s not like it’ll slow you down on a commute.

si_c

Guru
Why not just carry a pump? It’s not like it’ll slow you down on a commute.
I do, all my bikes have one permanently attached (Lezyne road drive for preference:okay:), but CO2 is so more convenient especially when commuting so I keep a cannister and inflator in the saddle bags on each of my bikes too, along with patches and an inner tube etc.

I don't know, I've never used it. I'd imagine it depends how many punctures you get.

But there are definitely people out there who are running out - I do know that as I've lent them my pump!

CO2 really comes into its own (in my limited experience) on group rides when fixing a puncture is holding up a load of people. And on a group ride someone is going to have a pump if you do run out.
Yes. I've seen CO2 inflations go wrong more times than pump-ups.

Some folks I know still carry CO2, but it seems to be a slowly fading trend - it's years since I saw anyone use it. Pumping still a regular sight!

mustang1

Guru
This is what I (usually) take (I say "usually" because sometimes I swap equipment between bikes then forget to put it back on the main bike)...

for short rides around town
inner tube
mini air pump
co2 with working nozzle
two tyre levers
portable rain jacket

for longer rides (or even shorter rides but in the sticks), in addition to above:
another mini air pump
small bag of sweets or nutrition
chain links
puncture patch kit
derailleur hanger
2 x £10 notes

Front and rear lights and a bike computer goes on most rides too along with two water bottles.

Top Bottom