What excuses will be used to increase electric car tax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Petrol powered motorbikes and scooters pollute too (many absolutely stink), not to mention the noise pollution and anti social behaviour displayed by a not insignificant proportion of riders

vickster

Legendary Member
You'd have to convince the nation, and employers that it's ok to stink at work and be uncomfortable. And aren't you retired?! So you don't have a commute, or a school run to do.

Pricing people out of their cars would only work for people with lower income. The richest 30% or so would continue to drive around polluting, whilst most of the working class would have to change habits, possibly to their disadvantage regarding accessing work, which might impact more on social and economical climates even though it's slowing the Earth's rate of decline.
You can use a flannel and deodorant coupled with a change of clothes after a more sedate ride? I've never showered after a cycle commute (up to 15 miles and no one's complained)

I think that weight and power banding for 2,3 and 4 wheel electric vehicles will encourage manufacturers to develope lightweight vehicles as opposed to the current situation where they just swap the powertrain from petrol to electric. We are at the state that IC cars were when they were built using an iron chassis and a body, pretty much like a horse cart.

Levo-Lon

Guru
They dont need a reason.
They need tax so they will tax.. You may find a 50k e car costs 3-4 times more than a basic city car which is fine by me.

Whatever happens government will sort any imbalance very quickly.

Like fags and booze, it will go up at 6pm today.

If its a give back allow 2 yrs for the adjustment :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You'd have to convince the nation, and employers that it's ok to stink at work and be uncomfortable.

Stinking at work is the preserve of those who have sweated stagnant in their cars. Those who cycle have a shower before entering the office.

I'll just call it road tax instead of VED. Right now, e-cars have very little or zero road tax due to low pollution status. In the future, when there will be a lot more e-cars, what excuses will the govt use to increase road tax?

My guesses are:
1. Batteries are harmful to environment.
2. The tyres wearing out cause harm
3. Congestion charge will be back (the Toxicity Charge will be revamped)
4. If you don't have a space in your house to park the car, you will be charged (we don't want cables everywhere, well, we don't mind it so long as you pay for the privilege)
5. Your car is too long or wide this taking up too much road space, or heavy etc.

All of those seem a pretty good idea to me. Cars take up lots of space, cause lots of damage and use up lots of resources to do something we could do quite adequately before we had them. It's high time their users stopped pushing the incidental costs onto the rest of us. At the same time, it's high time we had some decent alternatives so people in a very small income don't feel forced to use the things.

You'd have to convince the nation, and employers that it's ok to stink at work and be uncomfortable. And aren't you retired?! So you don't have a commute, or a school run to do.

Pricing people out of their cars would only work for people with lower income. The richest 30% or so would continue to drive around polluting, whilst most of the working class would have to change habits, possibly to their disadvantage regarding accessing work, which might impact more on social and economical climates even though it's slowing the Earth's rate of decline.

It's funny I've never been stinky or uncomfortable at work and I've been commuting to various places for the last eight years, and that includes an uphill kindergarten run with two kids on the back of my bike.

We need to price roads, preferably a realistic price, and design our towns and cities to make it easy to walk and cycle and use public transport but very awkward to drive through. This will make cities far more pleasant places to live while reducing pollution at the same time. At the same time road pricing doesn't have to be based simply on how much fuel you use or how far you drive.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Cars are a good thing and they are the only convenient mean of transport for families as public transport in the UK is a joke and well overpriced. Until manufacturers come up with a cleaner alternative, this is all we have for now and to fair, cars are much cleaner and a lot more efficient than not so long ago.
Of course there should be more car sharing to reduce impact of roads, congestion and pollution but the car is here to stay.

johnblack

Über Member
Cars are a good thing and they are the only convenient mean of transport for families as public transport in the UK is a joke and well overpriced. Until manufacturers come up with a cleaner alternative, this is all we have for now and to fair, cars are much cleaner and a lot more efficient than not so long ago.
Of course there should be more car sharing to reduce impact of roads, congestion and pollution but the car is here to stay.
Yep, there will never be the investment required to provide suitable public transport to rural communities, the car will remain essential.

DRM

Guru
Stinking at work is the preserve of those who have sweated stagnant in their cars. Those who cycle have a shower before entering the office.
That’s another misconception, not everyone works in an office, shop, warehouse etc, some people have to travel for their job, some a heck of a lot, & leave from home to go all over the UK

Yep, there will never be the investment required to provide suitable public transport to rural communities, the car will remain essential.

That's fair enough to some extent, although I'd argue the car will only remain essential as long as we insist on the same level of hyper-mobility we have now. Cars are however inappropriate as a form of transport for the majority of people in congested cities.

Top Bottom