What excuses will be used to increase electric car tax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That’s another misconception, not everyone works in an office, shop, warehouse etc, some people have to travel for their job, some a heck of a lot, & leave from home to go all over the UK

That's an interesting point: we need to build a more just society where people don't need to work like this to survive. If we don't we'll eventually be forced to reduce anyway, so it makes sense to work this way.

johnblack

Über Member
That's fair enough to some extent, although I'd argue the car will only remain essential as long as we insist on the same level of hyper-mobility we have now. Cars are however inappropriate as a form of transport for the majority of people in congested cities.
Completely agree, I could never live in a city but if I did, I couldn't imagine the need for a car, and should I need one, I'd just rent it.

I don't need to work in an office, could easily do everything from home, but I like being in the office most of the time and one of the perks is a hell of a car package so I might have a bit of bias. Our village has one bus a day out and another back in the evening. It's already subsidised so I can see why there's no chance of adding more.

johnblack

Über Member
That's an interesting point: we need to build a more just society where people don't need to work like this to survive. If we don't we'll eventually be forced to reduce anyway, so it makes sense to work this way.
We have a lot of field based employees, travelling their patch for meetings. It's such an old school way of doing things and is done because that's the way it's always been done. Most of what they do could be done on Skype or FT.

DRM

Guru
We can’t how does the service tech turn up to repair a piece of kit, particularly if it’s in the supply chain/logistics or the various things used to make other things, when you really think about we can’t go electric, how can you defend a country, hold the war while our tank is charging, the police/fire service/ambulance can’t get there it’s got a flat battery, it’s actually a pipe dream to go electric

Not really pro or anti this argument but would just like to make two points.

In my 46 years of work never did I work in a workplace that provided showers

As I do a lot of driving abroad and pay tolls, purchase vignettes, when will we start charging foreign registered vehicles for using and abusing our roads.

DRM

Guru
Not really pro or anti this argument but would just like to make two points.

In my 46 years of work never did I work in a workplace that provided showers

As I do a lot of driving abroad and pay tolls, purchase vignettes, when will we start charging foreign registered vehicles for using and abusing our roads.
Never, the politicians think all these Eastern European trucks pay tax on the fuel in the tank, they are ignorant of the fact that each tractor unit has massive fuel tanks on both sides of the vehicle & the drivers are told that they will be sacked if they fill up in the U.K, they must use the cheapest outlet on the Continent

Smudge

Veteran
Never, the politicians think all these Eastern European trucks pay tax on the fuel in the tank, they are ignorant of the fact that each tractor unit has massive fuel tanks on both sides of the vehicle & the drivers are told that they will be sacked if they fill up in the U.K, they must use the cheapest outlet on the Continent

As most in the haulage industry are aware of that, i would find it hard to believe that the government aren't aware of it. More likely is that they just haven't found a way to charge these foreign haulage firms for the lost uk fuel revenue.

Top Bottom