What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Magnolia. Wonderful. Very baffling, multiple plotlines, the moment you start to feel maybe you're getting to grips with one, it completely disappears for 20 minutes while you dip into others. Baffling too how it ever got made - almost impossible to imagine how the pitch went. But for all its oddness and unlikeliness, like I say, wonderful.

Reactions: gbb

Stephenite

Membå
The Librarian. Appears to be a kids/family film. But there is a scene where sex is alluded to so I'm not sure who it's aimed at. 2/5. I'd rather be moon watching tbh.

I'm choosing the film next time. Gf has a masters in film believe it or not lol.

Drago

Legendary Member
The November Man starring Pierce Brosnan. A sort of Jason Bourne tale but a touch more cerebral. I wasn't sure at first but as it got going I started to enjoy it. Lots of hand to hand fisticuffs and highly improbable gun stuff, but redeemed by a grittier character than normal for Brosnan, who clearly relished being able to say f*** quite a lot.

A very tasty looking female assasin in tight jeans. If you've got to get whacked then it may as well be by her!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Deliver us from evil. A horror starring Eric Banna. Supposedly based on a real story. Not bad. quite gory. 7/10

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Magnolia. Wonderful. Very baffling, multiple plotlines, the moment you start to feel maybe you're getting to grips with one, it completely disappears for 20 minutes while you dip into others. Baffling too how it ever got made - almost impossible to imagine how the pitch went. But for all its oddness and unlikeliness, like I say, wonderful.
It's the only film in which Tom Cruise is well cast... so gets an extra point for that :smile:

Last night i introduced a couple of friends to Kung Fury... I'll never tire of it, and they liked it too.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Stakeland

Solid vampire apocalypse stuff. I couldn't entirely buy in to the world (too many Zombie apocalypses, maybe?) but the idea of the brotherhood was an interesting one, I thought.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
By which you mean, I take it, he plays a 24 carat arse!
yup.

Shooter with Mark Wahlburg, Danny Glover and the lovely Kate Mara 7/10

District 9 with Sharlto Copley, nice sci-fi flick and if there is one film that is screaming out for a sequel its this. 8/10

AndyRM

XOXO
District 9 with Sharlto Copley, nice sci-fi flick and if there is one film that is screaming out for a sequel its this. 8/10

No. Just no. Seriously, a film like District 9 deserves to be a stand out and the way it ends is excellent.

Tracks - 8/10

Based on the true story of an Aussie lass who decides it might be a good idea to troop across her country and snare some camels en route. Touching, thoughtful and beautifully shot. A properly thought provoking film. A proper tribute to the country, I thought, unlike Luhrman's schmaltzy rubbish.

AndyRM

XOXO
The World's End - 7/10

Probably the weakest of the 'Cornetto Trilogy', but still very entertaining. Again a superb cast (though Paddy Considine is criminally under-used), snappy writing and some brilliant cinematography.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Man Up

I have a very low tolerance for "rom coms", generally finding them trite, overly-schmaltzy, and usually not very funny.

This one was pretty good. The premise wasn't that original, and the way it unfolded was fairly predictable, but Simon Pegg and the rest of the cast are all good, and the dialogue is funny without being too unrealistic. The fact that it was quite short helped - only 90 minutes.

7½/10

Top Bottom