What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
that reminds me... i haven't watched Piranaconda yet. Half snake, half fish, all death! Should be good becasue it's stars Michael Madsen.

That sounds even worse than Anaconda, if that's possible :laugh:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Les Cowboys, French film about a 16 year old girl who runs off with her boyfriend and converts to Islam. The film then follows her father's (together with his son) search for her. The end, when it finally comes, is unexpected.

Nicely shot and well acted. Enough going on to make it a very worthwhile watch.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In an interesting (arguably) illustration of the fallibility of IMDCB, I watched two films last night with near-identical ratings (8.0 v 7.9), one of which was superb, the other of which, IMHO, a bit of a stinker.

I've seen To Have and Have Not a couple of times before, but it's one of the few films I could cheerfully watch again and again. Bogart was never better, Walter Brennan is superb as his 'rummy' sidekick, and as for Lauren Bacall, in her first ever movie, well, if there's a better performance by any actress in any film, ever, I've never come across it. The on-screen chemistry between her and Bogart is electric (I believe they were becoming an item off-screen at the time), the basic story (from Hemingway) is great, and the script about as good as it gets. Even the musical numbers are wonderful. I'd give it a straight 9, and even then I'm not sure what I'm docking the point for. How could it be better?

Then Wait Until Dark. Great reviews, and starring one of my favourite actresses, Audrey Hepburn - what could go wrong? Well, pretty much everything, as it happens. Her performance is fine but the whole thing labours from the outset under the deadweight of an utterly implausible basic premise: that a blind woman finds herself beleagured by bad guys because she has unwittingly come into possession of a smuggled doll containing what's clearly a few dollars worth of heroin. Presumably they were tapping into the 'reefer madness' madness of the time. With hindsight it just looks daft. Other than that, it's painfully plotted, pedestrianly stagey (adapted from a play, it really shows it), and full of absurdities. Even dear Audrey can't save it. And yet it gets 7.9, rather than the 6ish I'd grudgingly offer. Go figure.

stephec

Legendary Member
Sometimes Netflix throws up a little treat as it did last night.

Five Deadly Venoms - a 1978 martial arts film from Hong Kong, plenty of dodgy dialogue and hilarious fight scenes.

The 7.5 on IMDB will do for me.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sometimes Netflix throws up a little treat as it did last night.

Five Deadly Venoms - a 1978 martial arts film from Hong Kong, plenty of dodgy dialogue and hilarious fight scenes.

The 7.5 on IMDB will do for me.
giphy.gif

I love that film :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
Titanic.

What a load of old pony, not helped by being the only film ever in which Kate Winslett doesn't get her kit off. I can only hope that it was filmed on the real Titanic and the actors all karked it with the ship, because that's what they deserve.

0/10, and that's being generous.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In an interesting (arguably) illustration of the fallibility of IMDCB, I watched two films last night with near-identical ratings (8.0 v 7.9), one of which was superb, the other of which, IMHO, a bit of a stinker.

I've seen To Have and Have Not a couple of times before, but it's one of the few films I could cheerfully watch again and again. Bogart was never better, Walter Brennan is superb as his 'rummy' sidekick, and as for Lauren Bacall, in her first ever movie, well, if there's a better performance by any actress in any film, ever, I've never come across it. The on-screen chemistry between her and Bogart is electric (I believe they were becoming an item off-screen at the time), the basic story (from Hemingway) is great, and the script about as good as it gets. Even the musical numbers are wonderful. I'd give it a straight 9, and even then I'm not sure what I'm docking the point for. How could it be better?

Then Wait Until Dark. Great reviews, and starring one of my favourite actresses, Audrey Hepburn - what could go wrong? Well, pretty much everything, as it happens. Her performance is fine but the whole thing labours from the outset under the deadweight of an utterly implausible basic premise: that a blind woman finds herself beleagured by bad guys because she has unwittingly come into possession of a smuggled doll containing what's clearly a few dollars worth of heroin. Presumably they were tapping into the 'reefer madness' madness of the time. With hindsight it just looks daft. Other than that, it's painfully plotted, pedestrianly stagey (adapted from a play, it really shows it), and full of absurdities. Even dear Audrey can't save it. And yet it gets 7.9, rather than the 6ish I'd grudgingly offer. Go figure.

Not seen the 2nd film mentioned, but couldn't agree more on Have and Have Not. The sexiest scenes in all cinema. "you know how to whistle don't you?" As you say, Lauren wasn't really acting

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Avengers: Age of Ultron (Netflix)
Enjoyable enough, but the character moments feel a bit checkboxy, as though the film makers were anxious to get back to the action set pieces. A shame, as there are gems hidden away in the script from time to time. As it is, this is a slightly above average big budget spectacular, with only hints of something more interesting.

The Nice Guys (Netflix)
Really fun, snappily scripted detective story set in the '70s. The elements are quite old fashioned, in many ways (the odd couple pairing, the conspiracy) but it's put together in such a nice way, and played so well that it transcends the sum of its parts. I'm not sure if this is a limited run on Netflix, as some things are, so add it to the top of your list.

Top Bottom