What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The Nice Guys (Netflix)
Really fun, snappily scripted detective story set in the '70s. The elements are quite old fashioned, in many ways (the odd couple pairing, the conspiracy) but it's put together in such a nice way, and played so well that it transcends the sum of its parts. I'm not sure if this is a limited run on Netflix, as some things are, so add it to the top of your list.

We saw this a couple of weeks back, an enjoyable yarn. Despite himself I kind of like Russell Crowe, he can be a pillock but he's made some decent films over the years.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Not seen the 2nd film mentioned, but couldn't agree more on Have and Have Not. The sexiest scenes in all cinema. "you know how to whistle don't you?" As you say, Lauren wasn't really acting
And classic lines, Bacall "what are you doing, trying to guess her weight"
also, Bogart "should we loosen her clothes?" Bacall "you’ve been doing all right".

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Stone... an Australian cult film from1974. Like most 'cult' films, it's mostly terrible. They're too busy trying to give us an insight into outlaw behaviour; road races, drug use, gang fights, tits, bums and more tits that they forget the film's plot, which is badly shoehorned in every 20 minutes or so. However like Shaft, it's got an excellent soundtrack and in places, an amazing soundscape. 3/10 for the film, 8/10 for the OST.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
North by Northwest

My joint favourite Hitchcock film (Vertigo and Rear Window, since you ask) and an absolute joy.
Great performances all round, particularity from James Mason and Martin Landau, and the cinematography is sublime. Obviously the directing is top notch.

8.885 /10

Not sure why the antagnoists thought a crop duster was going to be an effective murder weapon though.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mother
A Korean film about a woman who sets out to prove that her son didn't commit a murder for which he's been imprisoned.

Excellent, I thought.

Drago

Legendary Member
Flight of the Phoenix.

T'was the remake with Dennis Quaid. Close enough to the original, but brought up to date with some more modern characters and music.

Not bad, reasonably entertaining. 6/20.

Top Bottom