What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Creed 2 tonight. Obviously far from the best of the Rocky films and you always know how these films will play out.
Entertaining enough to pass a couple of hours, although Dolph Lundgren returning as Ivan Drago was dull as ditchwater in this one.

AndyRM

XOXO
Bad Boys for Life - 6/10

Entertaining enough, but basically plays the same as Bad Boys 2 just not as well. Also, irritatingly, tries to set up a continuation of the franchise which seems to be de rigueur these days.

AndyRM

XOXO
Agreed. It's ok as light entertainment, but is so rammed full of historical inaccuracies that it becomes annoying to anyone with even a slight knowledge of the band, its songs and chronology.

I'm not a particular fan of Queen, but Freddie Mercury was wild and from what I understand the film totally sanitised his character which is a shame. I believe Sasha Baron Cohen was originally cast to play him but dropped out because of how he was portrayed.

Drago

Legendary Member
Flash Gordon.

Much derided at the time, bit the critics missed the point - it was supposed to be a chintzy, twee, art deco delight to mirror the time in which the character and stories were created. Brian Blessed, Timith Dalton, Topol, Max Von Sydow, even Peter Duncan gets a brief look in before dying a grisly death, just like his screen career did.

Sit back and enjoy it for what it is - a proper comic book romp before Marvel ruined the genre.

8/10.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A Dog’s Journey, a hard nosed look at the life and times of a beloved canine as it passes through the lives of various people in different guises and investigates the influences and consequences of his journey.

An unadulterated saccharin blub fest. 6/10.

postman

Legendary Member
For the third time ,thanks to Netflix The Two Popes,well actually one cos Mrs P came down from her craft room ,and took control of the telly,i will finish it off tonight.A brilliant film.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Bicycle (2014)

A wonderful documentary film about... well, you've read the title and have no doubt already seen it! Currently available on Amazon Prime.

I loved it and plan to watch it again. The final scene with the director and his daughter was particularly heart-warming. The short-sightedness of Department of Transport in the late 1950s and into 1960s and 70s is soul-destroying.

If you haven't seen Bicycle before, then I recommend you do so!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Flash Gordon.

Much derided at the time, bit the critics missed the point - it was supposed to be a chintzy, twee, art deco delight to mirror the time in which the character and stories were created. Brian Blessed, Timith Dalton, Topol, Max Von Sydow, even Peter Duncan gets a brief look in before dying a grisly death, just like his screen career did.

Sit back and enjoy it for what it is - a proper comic book romp before Marvel ruined the genre.

8/10.

A brilliant film. Pure fun from start to finish

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The Terrornauts (1967)

A delightfully naff British Sci-Fi film, complete with Patrica Hayes as the Cockney Tea Lady and Carry On's very own Charles Hawtrey - reading (badly) from cue cards.

Despite a special effects budget of two shillings and sixpence - they still managed to invent the audio book and i-pod - long before anyone else

10/10

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Went to see 1917 last night at the local picture house.
Wow..a stunningly shot movie. This is a film that needs to be seen on the big screen. It will be totally wasted watching it on a TV.

Great filming, great story and great acting.

We've just seen in this evening at the pictures. Very Very good. For the first hour somehow it appeared to be one single continuous shot. How on earth they achieved that I don't know. I could quibble with a couple of points but it steps back from mawkishness or false drama and overall is an outstanding movie. The underlying story is pretty plausible - jerry has unexpectedly pulled back several miles to the Hindenburg line, giving up the territory the allies have failed to capture in 3 years of bloodshed, and two soldiers are sent on a desperate mission across no-man's land to get a message to cancel a futile attack; the phone lines having been cut by enemy bombardment. Thus it's a two hander for a lot of the film. Good points are showing the confusion of war; the trenches are amazing, as is the contrast between the allies' relatively scrappy trenches and the Germans' deep dug outs, abandoned i the story.

It would be a travesty if it doesn't pick up at least a couple of Oscars

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
We've just seen in this evening at the pictures. Very Very good. For the first hour somehow it appeared to be one single continuous shot. How on earth they achieved that I don't know. I could quibble with a couple of points but it steps back from mawkishness or false drama and overall is an outstanding movie. The underlying story is pretty plausible - jerry has unexpectedly pulled back several miles to the Hindenburg line, giving up the territory the allies have failed to capture in 3 years of bloodshed, and two soldiers are sent on a desperate mission across no-man's land to get a message to cancel a futile attack; the phone lines having been cut by enemy bombardment. Thus it's a two hander for a lot of the film. Good points are showing the confusion of war; the trenches are amazing, as is the contrast between the allies' relatively scrappy trenches and the Germans' deep dug outs, abandoned i the story.

It would be a travesty if it doesn't pick up at least a couple of Oscars

I really wasn't bothered about seeing 1917 until I heard an interview with Sam Mendes on 5Live the other week, I can't quite get my head around the real time/one take idea so I'm hoping to go and see it soon.

There are a few single shot/take scenes in the brilliant Children of Men, which were apparently incredibly difficult to pull off, so a whole film is mind boggling.

"Victoria" was a German one-shot film a few years ago. Over two hours long, it was mesmerising to watch it. As Wiki says:

'The film was shot in a single long take by Sturla Brandth Grøvlen [de] from about 4:30 AM to 7:00 AM on 27 April 2014 in the Kreuzberg and Mitte neighborhoods.[2][3] The script consisted of twelve pages, with most of the dialogue being improvised.[4]

To get financers onboard, director Sebastian Schipper promised to deliver a version using traditional shot cutting as “plan B” if he couldn’t achieve the final product in a true single take. The cut version was filmed first, over ten days, as a series of ten-minute takes, so that Schipper would have a completed film in the bag even if the one-take version failed. Schipper has characterized the cut version as “not good”.[5] The budget permitted only three attempts at the one-take version. According to Schipper, the first attempt was dull because the actors were too cautious, being afraid to make mistakes; the second attempt was the opposite, as the actors went “crazy”. Schipper says he became “angry” and “terrified” after seeing the second take and realizing he had only one chance left; in a subsequent meeting, he gave the cast a “hairdryer speech ... [it] was not a meeting that ended in hugs and 'good talk.' It was crazy. But the tension was built on knowing we wanted the same thing”. Schipper believes the final attempt was successful because there was an element of “aggression” missing from the other versions.'

AndyRM

XOXO
"Victoria" was a German one-shot film a few years ago. Over two hours long, it was mesmerising to watch it. As Wiki says:

'The film was shot in a single long take by Sturla Brandth Grøvlen [de] from about 4:30 AM to 7:00 AM on 27 April 2014 in the Kreuzberg and Mitte neighborhoods.[2][3] The script consisted of twelve pages, with most of the dialogue being improvised.[4]

To get financers onboard, director Sebastian Schipper promised to deliver a version using traditional shot cutting as “plan B” if he couldn’t achieve the final product in a true single take. The cut version was filmed first, over ten days, as a series of ten-minute takes, so that Schipper would have a completed film in the bag even if the one-take version failed. Schipper has characterized the cut version as “not good”.[5] The budget permitted only three attempts at the one-take version. According to Schipper, the first attempt was dull because the actors were too cautious, being afraid to make mistakes; the second attempt was the opposite, as the actors went “crazy”. Schipper says he became “angry” and “terrified” after seeing the second take and realizing he had only one chance left; in a subsequent meeting, he gave the cast a “hairdryer speech ... [it] was not a meeting that ended in hugs and 'good talk.' It was crazy. But the tension was built on knowing we wanted the same thing”. Schipper believes the final attempt was successful because there was an element of “aggression” missing from the other versions.
'

Thanks for that, another I'll have to check out. And it has reminded me of Woody Harrelson's Lost in London which I never got around to seeing.

Top Bottom