What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
The Empire Strikes The Return of the Wars Jedi Sith.

I don't know which one it was. Annakin Woodenactor got his legs chopped off it that helps. Dire acting, dire accent from Ewan McGregor, CGI that looked like it had been done with crayons, no plot to speak of. Notable only because Samuel L. Jackson went an entire film without swearing.

0.2/10. Absolutely dire.

I quite like Star Wars, but Episodes 1 - 3 are pretty much entirely without merit. There is literally no point in 1, for example, it's just a car race.

Spot on about the CGI too. There's no weight or depth to any of it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Regarding Ronin...I think I posted before on here,memory is bad ! The car chase was filmed in right hand drive uk cars with fake steering wheels on the left.So the actors looked like they were actually driving.Also it's actually De Niro really shitting himself to make it more realistic.
Bit of useless trivia from me sorry.

He acted that well:laugh:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

I don't know which one it was. Annakin Woodenactor got his legs chopped off it that helps. Dire acting, dire accent from Ewan McGregor, CGI that looked like it had been done with crayons, no plot to speak of. Notable only because Samuel L. Jackson went an entire film without swearing.

0.2/10. Absolutely dire.
Oh come on! It wasn’t that good.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The Thing from Another World (1951)

Classic 50's horror movie

The original of John Carpenter's 1982 film - The Thing, with references also used in Predator

I love this sort of thing so 8/10

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

0.2/10. Absolutely dire.
Revenge of the Pith... one of my nephews claimed it to be the best film ever. To be fair he was only ten at the time, but that didn't stop me from disowning him, his brothers, his sister and his father and the family cat.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
The Dressmaker

A peculiar, funny, sad, bizarre film. Kate Winslet stars as a returning resident to a small Australian town in Victoria. The film is full of characters - weird and wonderful, quirky and funny, dark and unlikable. The plot is simple, and shouldn't be looked at too carefully in case the viewer falls into one of the many gaping holes, but overall I really enjoyed it - it certainly wasn't what I was expected 8.5/10

Adam4868

Guru
The Dressmaker

A peculiar, funny, sad, bizarre film. Kate Winslet stars as a returning resident to a small Australian town in Victoria. The film is full of characters - weird and wonderful, quirky and funny, dark and unlikable. The plot is simple, and shouldn't be looked at too carefully in case the viewer falls into one of the many gaping holes, but overall I really enjoyed it - it certainly wasn't what I was expected 8.5/10
Watched that myself over Xmas and thought it was good.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Dressmaker

I'm rather partial Kate Winslet. A superb actress, and rather nice to look at.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Macbeth - the 2015 version with Michael Fassbender. Follows the original script, so we're watching it with my 13 yr old to aide his English Literature studies. My young one always walks out at the first sign of gore but not for this, despite the R rating so it seems the reviews were correct to challenge that rating (on the basis that the gore is typically implied rather than explicit).

I seem to have forgotten all my own O Level studies of Macbeth, and really struggled with the language. Perhaps the subject matter makes it less accessible than when I'm on a picnic blanket with a bottle glass of wine watching open-air Shakespeare of a lighter nature at the Nat Trust.

My 13 yr wasn't keen. Had to watch it in sessions over 3 nights.
Feel like I should say something positive. Er, it's visually stunning?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Macbeth - the 2015 version with Michael Fassbender. Follows the original script, so we're watching it with my 13 yr old to aide his English Literature studies. My young one always walks out at the first sign of gore but not for this, despite the R rating so it seems the reviews were correct to challenge that rating (on the basis that the gore is typically implied rather than explicit).

I seem to have forgotten all my own O Level studies of Macbeth, and really struggled with the language. Perhaps the subject matter makes it less accessible than when I'm on a picnic blanket with a bottle glass of wine watching open-air Shakespeare of a lighter nature at the Nat Trust.

My 13 yr wasn't keen. Had to watch it in sessions over 3 nights.
Feel like I should say something positive. Er, it's visually stunning?

I was very disappointed with it. It indeed looked stunning and had a superb dark-ages feel, but it was very hard to follow (though I liked the strong accents). If I didn't know the play reasonably well I'd have been baffled. The primary failing was to make Macbeth, a play full of action and pace, into something dull and plodding.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just finished watching Capernaum - 'chaos', according to the subtitles - about the life of a 12 year old boy growing up in poverty in Beirut. The 'hook' is that he sues his parents for having had him, but that's almost by the by. It's a staggeringly real glance into an utterly different life in an utterly different world, with an astonishing central performance. Apparently at Cannes it received a 10 minute standing ovation. I can absolutely believe it. Gruelling, true beyond any non fiction, and anything but 'entertaining', it's a stonewall 10/10, and I am certain, on 14 January, that I won't see a better film this year. Or, likely, ever. If you have Amazon Prime and an open mind, I can't recommend it too highly.

It's probably been reviewed here already but I'll give a max. 10/10 for 'Joker'.

A dark and deep study of mental illness, with the Batman character of the Joker being introduced to us prior to Batman in Gotham City, superbly acted by Joaquin Phoenix.

Apart from leading male role, the film, IMO, should scoop a big handfull of Oscars.

Go and see it!

Adam4868

Guru
Watched Uncut Gems with Adam Sandler last night.Not a bad film watched it with my kids and it wasnt what we were expecting.Good performance by Sandler.Id give it 7/8 out of 10

Top Bottom