What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Human Traffic - 9/10

Randomly stuck this on, not expecting to have aged particularly well, but I was more than pleasantly surprised to discover that it has. There are a couple of repetitive scenes that aren't really necessary, but overall it's a really excellent study of counter-culture in 90s Britain. Apparently, there is a US version that takes out all the references to the UK, and loses about 15 minutes as a result. I'd quite like to see it, because I can't imagine it makes any sense at all.

Danny Dyer is in some right bollocks, this is his first and probably best film performance, but he's been in some other crackers too.
the music is all wrong in the 'remixed' version though

AndyRM

XOXO
the music is all wrong in the 'remixed' version though

I've never seen that version, though it is on the DVD I've got. I don't think I'll bother, as I can't see it working with different music, which is pretty integral to the whole atmosphere of the film.

I learned my lesson with the Zane Lowe's re-score of Drive, which was truly, truly dreadful, and I still don't understand why Nic Refn let it happen. Apparently it took 18 months to do as well, which seems like an awful lot of effort to basically ruin a film.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I really have a feeling this conversation or something near to it took place at the funding of the film:

"mmm... so it's a story about a gay mathematician... how can we.... wait! Why don't we put in Keira Knightley? It will really work!"

Imitation Game.About Alan Turing.Is was good,so I decided to read more on the computer.Oh dear.The film took liberties.I should have known.So it gets 6 out of 10.

AndyRM

XOXO
Battle Royale - 9/10

Brilliant in many ways, I always forget how absolutely mental it is somehow. Immensely violent, but also discusses some deep and difficult issues, without battering you around the head with them.

I read recently that it was potentially going to be remade or turned into a TV series. I really hope that doesn't happen, because I can't see either ending well.

I also read that the author of the Hunger Games books wasn't influenced by it at all, which is such an obvious lie.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I watched "Overlord" for as long as I could take it (about an hour). I just couldn't finish it.

First, I can't imagine there was any paratrooper unit commanded by a black officer or had a black paratrooper in its ranks on d-day. While there was apparently an all black US paratrooper (555th) battalion they never served overseas according to wikipedia. I know many films have historical inaccuracies, but this was pretty blatant (and of course I'm not saying there shouldn't have been or it was right, just that there weren't). OK, I could have got by this if the movie was really good with a captivating story, but... it wasn't. And:

The final straw was a French kid who liked baseball and had a baseball bat and ball. Of course US audiences wouldn't think anything of this (completely normal in Anyville, USA) but: REALLY? I mean REALLY? It's a bit like a British made film having British paratroopers drop in on d-day and they happen to go into a French village where the first kid -quelle surprise -they meet loves cricket and has a cricket bat and ball... yeah, right.

I'd actually read fairly decent reviews about this movie, and one reviewer said the second half really warms up in a b-movie way. I just couldn't do it and turned it off. 1 out of 10.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Rosy. Surprisingly good considering the rating imdb gave it.

It's a story where a young English woman living (it turns out) in New Jersey is kidnapped by a young man obsessed with her and assumes his kindness and charm will win her over while she's his 'guest'. She turns out to be a bit different to the woman he thought she was (she is a woman, no surprises there btw).

Eziemnaik

Über Member
The Right Stuff - the best space movie ever? Certainly the most realistic. Stellar cast, great story, overall wholesomeness. 5/5

View: https://youtu.be/rYco0UsWhLc

View: https://youtu.be/ElzIPn1pXWE

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Got to get around to read it if it is just as good
Nolan was so impressed with the movie he projected it to his staff before filming Interstellar to mark an aim

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Righteous Kill - on Prime, starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino as two veteran NYPD detectives.

Got to be worth a look hasn't it?

Well, actually no. Distinctly average, although it was nice to see De Niro in something that wasn't an advert.

Top Bottom