What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The 'Carry On' films are utter garbage. They aren't even funny as a parody.
Thing is, this, the first in the series, wasn't recognisably a Carry On. It had none of the the supposedly bawdy postcard humour for which they later became known, and there was no Sid James going yuk yuk yuk. It was just a dispiritingly poor and lame British film that could never have been of any interest to anyone but the British, and really should have been none to them.
It didn't make you laugh it made you rather sad. Is this what we used to find funny? Seriously?

As a PS...
I actually quite enjoy one or two of the later ones. Watched carry on up the Khyber recently. Made oi laff.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I watched The Irishman. Obviously it has a great cast and some good writing. And some good performances. My problem with the movie was having guys close to 80 years old playing people who are supposed to be 30 or 40 years younger. I just wasn't buying it. DeNiro was way too old to have such young kids. There was one scene where DeNiro is fighting and kicking the guy and he was holding his arm as if he had palsy and his kicks looked fake. He just looked like an old man. Same with Pesci and Pacino. These guys were miscast in these roles and it ruined the movie for me.

AndyRM

XOXO
I watched The Irishman. Obviously it has a great cast and some good writing. And some good performances. My problem with the movie was having guys close to 80 years old playing people who are supposed to be 30 or 40 years younger. I just wasn't buying it. DeNiro was way too old to have such young kids. There was one scene where DeNiro is fighting and kicking the guy and he was holding his arm as if he had palsy and his kicks looked fake. He just looked like an old man. Same with Pesci and Pacino. These guys were miscast in these roles and it ruined the movie for me.

I think that's a pretty accurate reflection of the film. The De Niro fight scene actually made me laugh; it's so obviously an old guy who can barely move. How any editor or producer thought it looked reasonable is beyond me.

Cohen is a genius. I still remember watching live the interview in which he asked the second best question-to-a-celeb ever: "So, Brooklyn, when he grows up, is he going to be a footballer, like his dad, or a singer, like...Mariah Carey?"
I think this deserves a thread of its own: 2nd best comedy question.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Ill Manors - aka Boyz in the hood UK version. Riz Ahmed is a very talented actor who makes questionable choices when it comes to some of his work. Great soundtrack, but the movie does not work. Watch Boyz again instead.
2/5

sheddy

Legendary Member
Get On Up (Netflix)

The recently departed Chadwick Bozeman puts in a stellar performance as James Brown.

Produced by Mick Jagger.

Drago

Legendary Member
Die Hard II.

Alec Guinness, John Gielgued both cried tears of joy at this wonderful stage classic being so beautifully adapted to the big screen. Wonderful dialogue, superbly convincing action, a classic of our time.

9.5/20.

Drago

Legendary Member
Terminator - Dark Fate.

New models of terminator to fight, Sarah Connor well oast her best, Arnie trying to crack jokes, they really shouldn't have bothered. Not terrible, just not much in the way of redeeming features. Of interest only to die hard Terminator or Arnie fans.

5/10.

Top Bottom