What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I think you were right first time - The Bourne Legacy doesn't deserve a place in the series.

Bourne Legacy shouldn't be mentioned in the same paragraph as the 4 proper Bourne films (which are all excellent, Damon and Greengrass).

They did the same with IP Man, 4 proper films but put some daft "The Final Fight" in the middle with different actors.

Both random films just devalue the brand..

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I have always had a soft spot for the Identity.
No Greengrass, but an excellent movie nevertheless.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Dark Waters

Slow paced drama based on the true story of a corporate lawyer who took on Du Pont and exposed how corporate greed had led to the poisoning of a whole community (and almost everyone on the planet to a lesser degree). The sheer audacity of the company in the light of overwhelming evidence is astonishing.
Sounds like Erin Brockovich without the BJs. How did that slip under my radar? Never heard of it. Sounds really good, and 7.6 on imdb is no mean score. Thanks for the heads up.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
The Devil All the Time - Southern Gothic (even if it is set in midwest) thriller with great ensemble cast (Batman and Holland). A couple of interwoven vignettes together put a portrait of Americana during the upheaval of late 50s and 60s. Portrait heavily laced with violence and moral decrepitude - immoral reverend, murderous couple, violent teen, corrupt cop - an anti American Graffiti you could say.
Stylish effort from the director (voiceover, music) - a new talent to watch. Out of curiousity I have read some reviews it critics didn't warm to it. For me it is the second best movie I have seen this year. Electrifying 5/5

View: https://youtu.be/EIzazUv2gtI

stephec

Legendary Member
The Devil All the Time - Southern Gothic (even if it is set in midwest) thriller with great ensemble cast (Batman and Holland). A couple of interwoven vignettes together put a portrait of Americana during the upheaval of late 50s and 60s. Portrait heavily laced with violence and moral decrepitude - immoral reverend, murderous couple, violent teen, corrupt cop - an anti American Graffiti you could say.
Stylish effort from the director (voiceover, music) - a new talent to watch. Out of curiousity I have read some reviews it critics didn't warm to it. For me it is the second best movie I have seen this year. Electrifying 5/5

View: https://youtu.be/EIzazUv2gtI

That's on my Netflix list, I've ummed and ahhed about it but now you've made my mind up for me.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Interstellar, with Mathew Mc-wots-his-face, Mackenzie Foy and Anne Cathaway. Michael Caine was in it too, and Matt Damon for a little while, and that ginger haired actress. It was alright. It was three hours long, so I watched it over two nights.

Drago

Legendary Member
Interstellar, with Mathew Mc-wots-his-face, Mackenzie Foy and Anne Cathaway. Michael Caine was in it too, and Matt Damon for a little while, and that ginger haired actress. It was alright. It was three hours long, so I watched it over two nights.
A great film, ruined by Matthew McConaughey mumbling the whole way through.

johnblack

Über Member
Double header on Saturday night, The Hunt and Jojo Rabbit.

The Hunt is about a woke elite hunting rednecks, an allegory for the current situation in the US I guess, but I enjoyed it as a straight forward violent, funny hour and a half of film.

Jojo Rabbit, liked it more than I thought I would, Taika Waititi is very talented.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The Color Out of Space (Prime)

Lovecraft based horror with Nicholas Cage doing a very Nicholas Cage performance - that overshadows a lot of the supporting players (it's hard to concentrate on the other people in the scenes he shares), although Madeleine Arthur is very good. Directed by Richard Stanley, who you might remember from Hardware and Dust Devil, as well as the ill fated Island of Doctor Moreau.

There's a pleasing, grungy tactility to the monster effects, and the uncanny mood you'd expect from a Lovecraft story is maintained rather well.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Fury (Netflix)
Quite satisfying as an action film, perhaps less so as a war film (the issues around its portrayal of infantry & tank tactics, and the impressive, but nonsensical final battle scenes have been hashed out many times). What you'll get out of it, I guess, depends on what you go in wanting - it is exciting, tough in places and has some impressive set pieces.

It occurs to me that there is a good film, or perhaps Band of Brothers type series to be made about tank crews from the Normandy landings onwards.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Prime)
A nostalgia watch to mark the passing of Sean Connery - a lot of fun, and the interplay between Ford and Connery is great.

Fury (Netflix)
Quite satisfying as an action film, perhaps less so as a war film (the issues around its portrayal of infantry & tank tactics, and the impressive, but nonsensical final battle scenes have been hashed out many times). What you'll get out of it, I guess, depends on what you go in wanting - it is exciting, tough in places and has some impressive set pieces.

It occurs to me that there is a good film, or perhaps Band of Brothers type series to be made about tank crews from the Normandy landings onwards.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Prime)
A nostalgia watch to mark the passing of Sean Connery - a lot of fun, and the interplay between Ford and Connery is great.
As they said in The Beast,

• ) "You know our standing orders."
  • (Donald Patrick Harvey) "What?"
  • (George Dzundza) "Out of commission, become a pillbox. Out of ammo, become a bunker. Out of time, become heroes."

Top Bottom