What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hmmm

pally83

Über Member
I thought it was a bit of a long winded one-trick pony sort of a film, alright but I'm not in any rush to see it ever again. What else have they got for £3, let us know and I'll tell you which is the best one?

^_^

I liked it. Decent performances and well adapted. There was one slightly cheesy moment near the end that I didn't like but it's pretty good.

Not as good as other films based on Lehane novels, I'll concede - Gone, Baby, Gone is my favourite.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The Artist. Brilliant, one of the most enjoyable films I've seen for a while - great stuff!

Set in the silent movie era, black and white and silent. And French. It was very compelling, the lead actor was terrific, really looked like a silent movie star. He meets a dancer, their lives move in opposite directions, his career declines with the advent of talking films and hers ascends. Thought it might be a bit of an effort to get through a non-talkie but it was so watchable.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1655442/

gbb

Legendary Member
Watched this some time ago, but A Simple Plan really is worth a watch. Puts me in mind of Deliverance, similar in style, dark, moody....a bunch of guys from a small poor backwater town, facing a life of drudgery, marital difficulties, shortage of money, go on a trip and come across a crashed plane...full of millions of dollars, deep in a remote area. Do they keep the money ? Do they hand it over ? They formulate a 'simple plan' to keep the money (although they're divided about even this)....and it takes them down a road of treachery, tests and breaks lifelong friendships, leads to murder....takes them places they never conceived it could.
Really got to watch it again, loved it.

Watched Taken 2 tonight, similar storyline (unsurprisingly), no fuss, no deep storyline, just a fast moving, car chase, death dealing film where the baddies eventually get theirs from Liam Neeson.
Not quite as good as the first, but almost...

PaulB

Legendary Member
Just watched 'Do the Right Thing'. I remember being well impressed when I first saw this and bought it this week off Amazon. You know how when you remember something as being good from when you were younger and then you watch it again when you are older and it's rubbish? Well this one is even better than I remember it being! It is Spike Lee's second film so necessarily made on a small budget but whoa, things don't get much better than this. From the fantastic opening title scene with the brilliant dance, the film just gets better. It's one of the first movies Samuel L Jackson was credited for (here as plain Sam Jackson) and also stars Danny Aillo and John Turturro but the most impressive thing about the whole movie is the wonderful colour of it all. An oppressive heat-wave has the residents of this particular Brooklyn neighbourhood fractious and nippy but the cameraman Lee hired is some kind of genius! The colour rendition is fanTAStic and I loved the whole thing.

gavintc

Guru
Untouchables - great film. My wife and I really enjoyed it.

potsy

Rambler
Loopers. Very good if you like far fetched SF action thrillers starring Bruce Willis - which i do. Though the time machine itself was a bit s***.
Looking forward to watching this, once it comes to DVD :thumbsup:

Watched 'Safe' tonight, Jason Statham action :gun: :boxing: his films might be slightly one dimensional, but if you like one you like 'em all :biggrin:

*** PS Apparently, it was loosely based on various crimes that took place over a period of time in that part of the USA so hardly what I would call a 'true story'!

Regardless! I find the Cohen brothers exceptional (in a very strange, sometimes even twisted way, I agree, but still..) :thumbsup:

Top Bottom