What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Erin Brockovich. I can’t believe I hadn’t seen it before but when I thought about it I realised I hadn’t so I put that right based on a tip on here that it was included on Amazon Prime but due to disappear in a couple of days.

Loved it. Great performances by Julia Roberts and Albert Finney - Julia’s Oscar was well-deserved. An unbelievable tale too, one which subsequently had me reading up on the case involved.

It’s a solid 8/10 from me.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I really enjoyed it.

I think it was more interesting as a true story that I wasn't aware of.

I was just being a miseryguts. It was really interesting but I stand by the too-long comment. 2 hours would have been enough to tell the story. Weirdly my favourite bit was the radio show at the end that replaced the usual black-screen-with-what-happened-next.

Slick

Guru
I was just being a miseryguts. It was really interesting but I stand by the too-long comment. 2 hours would have been enough to tell the story. Weirdly my favourite bit was the radio show at the end that replaced the usual black-screen-with-what-happened-next.

Yes, I enjoyed that as well. :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I watched a movie newly released on Netflix called ROBIN HOOD it had Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchet in it. Let's just say I watched it so that you don't have to as I feel like a martyr. This film is a load of tripe that some people thought was a good enough idea to invest in - yes it is a big budget disaster. Crowe tries to resurrect his Gladiator character with an accent that would make Dick van Dyke blush and the director (Ridley Scott) plagiarizes Braveheart mercilessly. Cate Blanchet must have been drugged and kidnapped for her part in this and if I were her I would want Robin Hood wiped from my resume.
Ha ha - my guests and I just discovered this for ourselves... We sat through the whole mess to see where it eventually got better, but the end credits got there first! :laugh:

We had more fun trying to find the most negative critical reviews online afterwards.

Our rating: -2/10. (That is MINUS 2 out of 10!!)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I watched a movie newly released on Netflix called ROBIN HOOD it had Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchet in it. Let's just say I watched it so that you don't have to as I feel like a martyr. This film is a load of tripe that some people thought was a good enough idea to invest in - yes it is a big budget disaster. Crowe tries to resurrect his Gladiator character with an accent that would make Dick van Dyke blush and the director (Ridley Scott) plagiarizes Braveheart mercilessly. Cate Blanchet must have been drugged and kidnapped for her part in this and if I were her I would want Robin Hood wiped from my resume.
"plagiarising Braveheart" sounds like a very poor basis for a film

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Diva - a French film from 1981 concerning a young postman who, being an opera fan, secretly records a diva who refuses to make records as she regards performance as being all important. The lad then gets mixed up with murderous gangsters who are trying to get hold of a different recording implicating a corrupt police chief. Maybe a bit dated and a touch pretentious, but nevertheless a worthwhile and entertaining watch of an example of "cinema du look" so style over substance is kind of the point

Recommended if the above synopsis appeals

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hell or High Water, on Netflix
Jeff Bridges plays a soon to retire, gnarly, Texts Ranger with a healthy pee taking personality, on the trail of two bank robbing brothers, each with quite different motives and personalities.
Really good, well worth a watch. A neo western I saw it described as...the description fits it well.

Agree - very good film.. Jeff B just gets better and better in that sort of role eg as Rooster Cockburn in the superior remake of the John Wayne version

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Maestro - great film, all the better if you watch it knowing a bit of LB's history.

Agreed. We enjoyed it a lot.

Probably worth mentioning that it is just random episodes rather than being the story of Bernstein's life and career, but the central performance is incredibly good, and he has LB's mannerisms and style down to perfection. From what I've read pf Bernstein he hated conflict, perhaps unusual for a major conductor, who are often seen as egoists and even bullies, so it very much seems true to his character.

Maybe not for everyone but we enjoyed it a lot, and it very much conjured up a time and place as well as the man himself. Apparently his family approved of the film, though it doesn't gloss over his personal life and relationships.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Next Goal Wins

A based on a true story film about sporting underdogs. The American Samoan football (in our meaning of the word) team were famed as the worst ever international football team as they had never even scored a goal never mind won a game. A washed-up international coach is sent to help them and so on.. as we've seen many times before

And yet the film is pure joy from start to finish. Beautifully shot, superb cast, clever script, and genuinely funny without really having gags as such.

Without giving too much away, after all, the plot is familiar, the vital match which its been building up to is partly told as a re-told story, emphasising the importance of stories and legends in the culture of the islanders.

Saw it at the pictures a few weeks back but no doubt will be in the usual places soon. A big thumbs up from us

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Life. A decent cast and great production pitched against a lazy, clichéd and implausible script. It’s an Alien/Prometheus mashup, in the very worst way. Stupid characters making stupid decisions in what should be the most controlled location conceivable. And a ‘twist’ at the end that goes completely against what you had already been shown. 2/10.
I second that 'demotion'! :okay:

Alien life form detected; it appears to be dormant/hibernating. I will try to wake it up... [Fiddles about until it responds.]

Ah, that worked. I'm going to feed it. [Feeds it.]

Mmm, it is growing at an incredible rate now but it won't get big, scary and dangerous unless I give it better food and improve the oxygen content of the air that it is breathing. [Gives it better food and improves the oxygen content of the air that it is breathing!]

Oh yeah, it is really getting me worried now. It is showing signs of intelligence in the way that is interacting with me. I have a pair of Marigold washing up gloves to protect me though, so it should be safe to really mess about with it... [Really messes about with scary, intelligent, rapidly-growing alien life form.]

Alien gets peed off and fights back...

Crew finally start to realise that they located, picked up, transported, woke up, stimulated, nourished, oxygenated, electrocuted and generally f**ked with the wrong CGI life form! :laugh:

AndyRM

XOXO
Next Goal Wins

A based on a true story film about sporting underdogs. The American Samoan football (in our meaning of the word) team were famed as the worst ever international football team as they had never even scored a goal never mind won a game. A washed-up international coach is sent to help them and so on.. as we've seen many times before

And yet the film is pure joy from start to finish. Beautifully shot, superb cast, clever script, and look funny without really having gags as such.

Without giving too much away, after all, the plot is familiar, the vital match which its been building up to is partly told as a re-told story, emphasising the importance of stories and legends in the culture of the islanders.

Saw it at the pictures a few weeks back but no doubt will be in the usual places soon. A big thumbs up from us

Perfectly put. It's a lovely film.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Deep Fear (Netlix). 3/10. A shark movie where you don't even see a shark for the first 30 minutes of the film. For this day and age, rubbish CGI, rubbish characters and a silly plot. I wasn't expecting Jaws but I had hoped for a little better.

Top Bottom