What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Commitments. Hadn't seen it for years, bumped into their cover of Mustang Sally and thought why not. Thoroughly enjoyed it. A bit Alan Parker. Quite a lot of clunky dialogue. But undeniable energy, a great snapshot of a very particular time and place, and a lot of terrific music. What's not to like. 7/10, at least.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Young Sherlock Holmes (1985)

Fun family viewing, kids adventure with a hint of Indiana Jones and a smidgen of Harry Potter. Not surprising as Spielberg and Columbus made this film.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
You know the problem with The Departed? Too much talk from Mark, Jack, Matt and Leonardo. Just not convincing enough, unlike Goodfellas, Raging Bull and The Irishman.
Funny you should say that. The other day we were talking and someone said that Scorcesse can't make a good movie if it does not involve Italian Americans and New York. He is the best when talking about subjects he knows and understands and very average about others

mustang1

Guru
Well, I finished off watching Cycle (it's about bikes) then watched a couple of other movies that purported to be about bikes but were really just about people living on a certain continent. Both of those dumb movies had eery music (why is it only MTB movies have upbeat music and movies based on endurance events have eery ghost-like music) and then I ended up watching (well, started watching) a movie starring Kevin Spacey about the 2008 stock market crash which I cannot recall the name of. I do recall already having watched it in the past and I didn't think it was anything special back then either. It's a background movie while i was doing more important work on cyclechat.

Adam4868

Guru
Funny you should say that. The other day we were talking and someone said that Scorcesse can't make a good movie if it does not involve Italian Americans and New York. He is the best when talking about subjects he knows and understands and very average about others
Shutter Island ?

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Shutter Island ?
Yeah, I completly forgot about that:laugh:

The Ghost Writer - Brosnan is good as Blair, sorry Lang:laugh:, ex prime minister about to be judged for war crimes, McGregor just as good as his ghost writer, taking the gig after the last one floats dead in the Atlantic. Polanski is better at creating suspense than maybe anyone in the modern cinema, it is almost as good as Frantic or Chinatown. Very underrated movie, I suppose because of director's background
5/5

View: https://youtu.be/L_AerBW0EcI

Adam4868

Guru
Yeah, I completly forgot about that:laugh:

The Ghost Writer - Brosnan is good as Blair, sorry Lang:laugh:, ex prime minister about to be judged for war crimes, McGregor just as good as his ghost writer, taking the gig after the last one floats dead in the Atlantic. Polanski is better at creating suspense than maybe anyone in the modern cinema, it is almost as good as Frantic or Chinatown. Very underrated movie, I suppose because of director's background
5/5

View: https://youtu.be/L_AerBW0EcI

On a Korean binge at the moment,watched the Chaser this week(through my fingers at times !) and tonight's offering is The Handmaiden by Park Chan-wook.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
All day and a Night - Boyz n the hood it ain't. Very uneven movie, with good performances mixed with hammy. Annoying voice over. No happy ending.
2/5

View: https://youtu.be/v5AAhlqJwZk

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yesterday - the first John Wick film as it's currently free with Amazon Prime. Little plot, loads of fighting, shooting and Keanu Reeves showing as much emotion as he did when playing Klaatu in the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Perfect company with a few Saturday night beers.

Yesterday - the first John Wick film as it's currently free with Amazon Prime. Little plot, loads of fighting, shooting and Keanu Reeves showing as much emotion as he did when playing Klaatu in the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Perfect company with a few Saturday night beers.
I think it's the most "pure" action movie I've ever seen. What it does, it does very well. No attempt at humour, romance, character development, originality, titillation - nada. My favourite action movies all have some of the above, but there have been a lot of bad action movies that would have benefited from this approach!

[seen on Freeview, just FYI :smile: ]

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Come and See - Epic tale of Soviet Resistance in IIWW Belarus. Movie follows a teen boy as he suffers hunger, pacification, strafing and combat with Nazis. We see what he sees (Jolie used the same trope in her First they took my Father) and what he sees is the most depressing portrayal of war in Cinema - this is not Private Ryan or Dam Busters - some scenes are almost repulsive. It is a poignant reminder of the suffering of People in the war - in the end it is always the civil population who pays the most. 5/5

View: https://youtu.be/SQLdc0IQg2I

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Come and See - Epic tale of Soviet Resistance in IIWW Belarus. Movie follows a teen boy as he suffers hunger, pacification, strafing and combat with Nazis. We see what he sees (Jolie used the same trope in her First they took my Father) and what he sees is the most depressing portrayal of war in Cinema - this is not Private Ryan or Dam Busters - some scenes are almost repulsive. It is a poignant reminder of the suffering of People in the war - in the end it is always the civil population who pays the most. 5/5

View: https://youtu.be/SQLdc0IQg2I

A great movie and hits very hard.

Top Bottom