What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
No Time to Die - 7/10

Agree with pretty much everything @MontyVeda has said. It's everything you'd expect from a Bond film, with some neat nods to the older ones. It will be interesting to see how the franchise is reacted to in future.

Journey’s End - watched late last night on BBC2.

Excellent cast, particularly Paul Bettany and Toby Jones.

Makes you glad you weren’t alive and of conscription age during WWI.

one of those films you’re still thinking about for a few days after.

8/10

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whoo hoo - going to the pictures to tonight to see Seven Samurai. Seen it several times before of course but not on the big screen. Apparantly based on a cowboy book and subsequently remade as Magnificent Seven, twice.

10/10 of cinematic perfection as it's amongst the "Greatest Films of All Time"

AndyRM

XOXO
Whoo hoo - going to the pictures to tonight to see Seven Samurai. Seen it several times before of course but not on the big screen. Apparantly based on a cowboy book and subsequently remade as Magnificent Seven, twice.

10/10 of cinematic perfection as it's amongst the "Greatest Films of All Time"

Very jealous! It's an incredible piece of cinema.

Have a wee before you go in though, it's a long-un! But you already knew that :okay:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Very jealous! It's an incredible piece of cinema.

Have a wee before you go in though, it's a long-un! But you already knew that :okay:

I remember getting desperate for a pee watching Ran. Eventually I had to give in and sneak out, bit once I'd made my move 4 or 5 others did the same. We had another hour to go ! I think having a pint beforehand might have been a tactical mistake

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
I remember getting desperate for a pee watching Ran. Eventually I had to give in and sneak out, bit once I'd made my the first move 4 or 5 others did the same. We had another hour to go ! I think having a pint beforehand might have been a tactical mistake

Ha! I thought I'd given myself permanent bladder damage holding it in that long, I was in absolute agony by the end.

Not cinema related, but I had a few beers on a train trip from Edinburgh to Newcastle, and unwisely didn't relieve myself at the station as it was late and I just wanted to get home. By the end of the half hour Metro journey to my 'hood I was in very real danger of pishing myself. Fortunately there is a small park within hobbling distance of the station so I was able to go, like an animal.

AndyRM

XOXO
I've just finished watching Army of the Dead too - 8/10

I really like Zak Snyder films and this is up there with his best. I thought the zombie hierarchy idea was clever, and though it's about as subtle as a brick in the face it's well acted and you're hoping that it ends well for (mostly) everyone. I mean I knew it wasn't going to, but I had a lot of fun along the way. Also enjoyed the acoustic covers and didn't find the CGI off-putting, but then I know what I'm getting into from a Zak Snyder film.

There's a prequel on the way, centering around the safe-cracker Dieter, and also an animated series telling more of Scott's back story and the origins of the zombies.

Watched the prequel, Army of Thieves - 8/10

Much more of a straight up bank heist movie, directed by the guy who plays Deiter, Matthias Schweighöfer.

Lots of fun, a lot less gore, similar themes and indeed some of the same lines.

I'm looking forward to Planet of the Damned even more now

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ha! I thought I'd given myself permanent bladder damage holding it in that long, I was in absolute agony by the end.

Not cinema related, but I had a few beers on a train trip from Edinburgh to Newcastle, and unwisely didn't relieve myself at the station as it was late and I just wanted to get home. By the end of the half hour Metro journey to my 'hood I was in very real danger of pishing myself. Fortunately there is a small park within hobbling distance of the station so I was able to go, like an animal.

Update on seven samurai - there's an official intermission. I'd forgotten so after my forced absence came back in during the intermission

AndyRM

XOXO
Update on seven samurai - there's an official intermission. I'd forgotten so after my forced absence came back in during the intermission

Coulda had that pint then :cheers:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Don't ask me why but... The Pied Piper (1972). A star studded cast including Donald Pleasence, John Hurt, Roy Kinnear, Diana Dors... and then Donovan as the piper and Jack Wild as the lame kid, both of whom artfully dodged any ability to act throughout the entire film. Good for a daft laugh but if you want a 'good' film, this isn't one of them.

AndyRM

XOXO
Mad God - 9/10

Phil Tippets' stop-motion animation that's been 30 years in the making! It's a thing of surreal, and grotesque beauty.

Despite the name it is essentially an almost Dante-esque descent into Hell.

Not for the faint of heart, but if you're into the weird and wonderful it's well worth a watch.

AndyRM

XOXO
Copshop - 8/10

I wasn't sure about this when I discovered it, but it's really fun. Betrayal all over the place, both with the police and the cons, great acting from a very small cast of characters and nails the 70s cop movie vibe. It's also very funny, and the gun battles are well thought out. In fact the whole set design is, more like a play than a film; I don't think there are more than 5 environments.

An excellent homage, definitely recommended.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Part 2 of IT. The film deviated from the book quite a bit, but that’s films for you. I think that the older version was better. The one with John-Boy Walton as Bill Denborough and Tim Curry as Pennywise.
Of course the book is best of all.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I Care a Lot - Mrs Pike gets to semi-reprise her role from Gone Girl, with very different end result. Playing a ruthless legal tutor for older folks she runs a racket stealing their wealth while they are closed in care homes. The movie very nicely exposes it in the first scenes. Mrs Pike is cold, objective driven and not easily shaken. Unfortunately, it goes downhill from there. After picking up a wrong victim she runs foul of Russian mob and unintentional comedy folllows. Russian Mafia is disfuncional and inept. They leave their murder victims without checking out if they are dead (twice!). Mrs Pike halfway through the film becomes Jason Bourne (seriously) and whoops their asses. Mob boss is one moment throwing shakes at the wall, the next calmly observing botched kidnapping without any reaction whatsoever. Main character lover/partner in crime feels like she is there only to fill a quota for diversity.
It is a shame because it is not a bad idea for a dark comedy, acting is ok, relatively well filmed. Just totally unbelievable and funny for the wrong reasons. I would actually recommend it to watch it to learn how to ruin a good idea.
2/5

Top Bottom