What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Free Guy - 7/10

I fully expected to hate this, because from the advertising it looked just like a video game version of The Truman Show, and it sort of is, but different. Hard to describe really, if Grandma's Boy, The Matrix, Truman Show, Fortnite and Grand Theft Auto had a bizarre love child, this would be it.

Really nicely shot, manic but decipherable, strong acting by all the leads. Recommended.

AndyRM

XOXO
The Many Saints of Newark - 6/10

Basically a Tony Soprano origin story. If you know anything about the Sopranos, you know what you're getting.

I quite liked it, but it's nowhere near as good as the Sopranos and feels a bit unnecessary.

AndyRM

XOXO
31 - 7/10 (if you're a Rob Zombie fan) | 4/10 (if you aren't)

I fall into the former category. It's sleazy, schlocky, camp and vaguely ridiculous.

70s setting, 70s styling; you know what you're getting with the guy, and if you aren't into it, you probably won't enjoy it.

Adds nothing to the "people getting hunted down" genre, but looks cool, with excellent practical effects, and has a badass soundtrack (unsurprisingly).

vickster

Legendary Member
I went to a freebie Ghostbusters Afterlife preview…enjoyable enough, like being back in the 80s…Ghostbusters meets the Goonies meets The Mummy.
Fans of the original will probably enjoy :smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Red Notice. We were feeling in the mood for something entertaining and undemanding, and this came up as Netflix's #1 in the UK today, 'so how bad can it be?' Well we found out. Really bad. Biggest load of cack I've seen since I can't remember when. Two hours of my life I'm never getting back. How does stuff this bad ever get made, let alone at clearly vast expense. Dreck.

stephec

Legendary Member
Red Notice. We were feeling in the mood for something entertaining and undemanding, and this came up as Netflix's #1 in the UK today, 'so how bad can it be?' Well we found out. Really bad. Biggest load of cack I've seen since I can't remember when. Two hours of my life I'm never getting back. How does stuff this bad ever get made, let alone at clearly vast expense. Dreck.
It makes some of Steven Segal's later films look like Oscar winners. 😂

I went to a freebie Ghostbusters Afterlife preview…enjoyable enough, like being back in the 80s…Ghostbusters meets the Goonies meets The Mummy.
Fans of the original will probably enjoy :smile:
Saw the trailer on the big screen: I got ridiculously excited! I can't believe I'm looking forward to a big budget remake of a much-loved classic, we know these things are always dire. But this one does look a lot of fun, with its heart in the right place ... :-)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Saw the trailer on the big screen: I got ridiculously excited! I can't believe I'm looking forward to a big budget remake of a much-loved classic, we know these things are always dire. But this one does look a lot of fun, with its heart in the right place ... :-)
That's what I was thinking.
After the dreadful remake I was gutted at how crap it was after such a utterly brilliant original.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

One hint - there's really no need to sit through a two hour shyte film. You should adjourn to the pub after an hour maximum. The money is already wasted but the remaining run-time can still be rescued

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You're right of course. Good money after bad.

I was a young adult before I realised this having previously wanting "to get my money's worth", then one day I thought "hang on ...". It was back in university where I'd joined a film club where they showed various foreign or art movies (no, not that kind, proper serious above board stuff!) all free once you'd paid the modest fee for the season. Amongst the genuine masterpieces, some of them were incredibly dull and / or pretentious, so my patience threshold got shorter and shorter - so I'd give it half an hour and if I wasn't gripped, I'd bale out and watch Blake's Seven in the students' union. Now B7, even back then, was pretty corny, so I wasn't setting a particularly high bar for the film to clear, but many failed this hurdle.

To be fair, did get to see Kagemusha, Dersu Uzala, Shadows of our forgotten ancestors, chant of Jimmy Blacksmith amongst the chaff which I baled out of

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm an old one, still wedded to the idea that at some point all will be redeemed. You'd think at my age I'd know better.

I still make the odd mistake - spent at least a half hour longer that I should have sitting through the Will Smith sub-Bond movie Gemini. Mrs PP herself bored, saw saw me getting fidgety and suggested bailing, but I wanted to give it a bit longer - she was of course right, but we saved the last hour at least, and went to the pub.

You get the occasional strange one like "Cowboys and Aliens", the first hour is close to brilliant but the second half seems liked they'd sacked the writer and / or director and promoted the tea boy. It's hard to bale out on a so-far excellent film !

AndyRM

XOXO
Point Break - 3/10

If they hadn't called this a 'remake' or called it Point Break it would be a fairly decent action film. But tagging it with those things means it's got a lot to live up to and utterly fails. It's just a series of Red Bull style stunts strung together very loosely with an eco-terrorism 'plot'.

Best avoided.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Point Break - 3/10

If they hadn't called this a 'remake' or called it Point Break it would be a fairly decent action film. But tagging it with those things means it's got a lot to live up to and utterly fails. It's just a series of Red Bull style stunts strung together very loosely with an eco-terrorism 'plot'.

Best avoided.
First one is underrated classic:okay:

Top Bottom