What foods should I be eating before riding or to give me the energy to build stamina and fitness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Breatnac

What foods should I be eating before riding or to give me the energy to build stamina and fitness?

I have just started cycling after not cycling for since school.

I am after any advice I can get on diet or cycling. I have started a blog to plot my discoveries along the way. It is at http://breatnac.blogspot.com/

I have signed up for the London to Cambridge cycle ride in July and the London to Brighton cycle ride in July.

I have started getting sponsorship for the London to Cambridge, if you have any advice about any of these issues please either reply to this or add a comment to my blog.

Many Thanks

Breatnac

longers

Legendary Member
Porridge is excellent pre-ride fuel, you can add dried fruit to it for extra benefits. It's cheap, quick, easy and full of the right carbohydrates to allow for slow energy release. I was advised not to set off immediately to allow for some digestion before riding.

andygates

The brown-bread banana and honey sandwich is a time-honoured classic. xx(

Basically, you're after a modest portion of slow carbs around an hour before setting out.

* Modest because a heavy meal will sit in your belly.

* Slow carbs - brown bread, oats, that sort of thing - so that you get a steady release of energy.

* A while before because riding and digesting don't mix - this is very personal, for me it's 2h so I always do my morning rides on an empty stomach. Experiment!

col

Legendary Member
The night before,get some pasta or jacket spud down you,sets you up nicely for the next day,then as above,as already said.

walker

col said:
The night before,get some pasta or jacket spud down you,sets you up nicely for the next day,then as above,as already said.

your better off not cooking the potato for it to be too soft. the softer the potato the quicker it will be obsorbed into the body, the quicker it turns to fat, which is good for long distances if that's what your planning. Aim to get in protein as well on your ride otherwise the body will break down mucle protein for energy leaving your muscle not able to cope with recovery.

stevenb

Some eggs for brekky works a treat.
Scrambled eggs on wholemeal bread with baked beans is a complete protein meal...good for you too. A healthy way to start the day. :smile:

Dave5N

Über Member
Big Pies?

When I was a kid we filled a pocket with little bits of bread and jam.

stevenb

Dave5N said:
Big Pies?

When I was a kid we filled a pocket with little bits of bread and jam.
I might try the jam sarnie thing myself this weekend.:smile:....I love them....and it sounds like they do well for your energy.

mr Mag00

rising member
i have porridge for a couple of hour ride and i can get away with an hour before, i usually top up with banana as get bike ready and check it over, I also try to get in a couple of pints of water too, usually need a pee stop in first half hour or so.
If shorter harder workout i dont do anything special is that the right thing to do?

stevenb

I have now found a good formula for me.
Brekky cereal us usual...cornflakes.....when I get up.
An Apple.
Tehn about 45 mins before I go out I cook some noodles (dried pack with sachet of flavouring). Take a couple of choccy bars with me....and that see me sorted for easily 50+ miles.

Noodley

I shall be heading out for 200km or so tomorrow morning, and have just eaten 2 x homemade cheeseburgers and a large bag of chipshop chips. Perhaps best not follow my eating plan ;)

stevenb

Noodley said:
I shall be heading out for 200km or so tomorrow morning, and have just eaten 2 x homemade cheeseburgers and a large bag of chipshop chips. Perhaps best not follow my eating plan ;)

Thats pretty much what I had last nigth too.
Plus an egg and some baked beans....mmmmmm:smile:

Top Bottom