What gear and Where do you ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
totallyfixed said:
205 rpm, bloody hell! Think thats the fastest I've heard yet, Joe's not a member of the GB track team is he? I'm going to feel aright noggin if he is. Am now interested to find out what a track sprinter does get up to, on saying that though they can't be twiddling that fast on big gears at 40mph so I reckon Joe wins it so far.

Thats downhill, but still having to put effort in to keeping going faster, with the 65" gear i used to ride, you just had to go faster, and spin fast as, to keep uyp with people on gears.
No, not on a track team.
I can spin my 72" gear up to 35mph though.
Done it on a sprint on the flat, also down a hill, racing for a sign, with people on gears. Down the hill spinning fast as, then trying to keep as much spinning and speed as i can on the flat, sat just under 35mph though, about 34.5mph on the computer, admittedly.
Not sure what i do on the TT bike, im sure i can spin that one up to a decent speed, but not got a computer on that.

i've had just short of 200 revs coming down oakenclogh fell but don't get anywhere near that now.
a couple of clubmates who ride fixed in the winter have had over 200, but they're a good bit younger than me.

As I said before, my excuse is that I am a bit on the lanky side plus with 175's I think 190rpm not too shabby. Want to hit 200 like Joe but it would only have to be for a very few secs. I always think following cars who are not cyclists must think we are totally barmy when they are behind us on a downhill.

longers

Legendary Member
totallyfixed said:
I always think following cars who are not cyclists must think we are totally barmy when they are behind us on a downhill.

My mate who follows me home from work when we go the long way thinks I'm barmy when my legs are spinning and I was behind a fixed rider on a hilly audax at the weekend on a descent and a climb and I knew he was barmy.
There was two and a half thousand metres of climbing in a little under 120k. I was on gears for that one.

colinr

46-17 (about 71") around Norfolk. Highest RPM I've hit is ~170, had to leave the county to find a big enough downhill for that though.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I come and go with fixed. This year I've hardly touched it; last year I rode four 600s on it as well as shorter events. Longest on fixed was the 99 PBP. It used to be always 68" (43x17) but end of last year I swapped to an 18 for a hilly ride and haven''t yet turned it round again. I have managed 212rpm (around 42mph) on a long straight descent, but that was around 15 years ago when I was young and in my forties. I do remember that it hurt and sent my pulse higher than any climb.

The frame's a nonedescript 48yr old Holsworth with Dave Marsh forks and handmedown components. I have another old frame waiting to be turned into a winter training bike.

D

Deleted member 1258

Another Pearson here. Running 44x17, 70 inch, at the moment. Running round Coventry as transport most of the time, also use it for club runs in the winter. The 48x18, 72 inch gear, it came with was fine for round Coventry but a smidge tall for the club runs so the following winter I put a 46 chain ring on it to bring the gearing down to 68 inch, I found that a smidge small so I have recently put it up to 70 inch. I normally ride around 15-20mph and can hit 30-35mph on descents.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Ian H said:
I come and go with fixed. This year I've hardly touched it; last year I rode four 600s on it as well as shorter events. Longest on fixed was the 99 PBP. It used to be always 68" (43x17) but end of last year I swapped to an 18 for a hilly ride and haven''t yet turned it round again. I have managed 212rpm (around 42mph) on a long straight descent, but that was around 15 years ago when I was young and in my forties. I do remember that it hurt and sent my pulse higher than any climb.

The frame's a nonedescript 48yr old Holsworth with Dave Marsh forks and handmedown components. I have another old frame waiting to be turned into a winter training bike.

:biggrin::thumbsup:
wheres the bowing down smilie?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Thank-you. I think I'd be hard-pressed to duplicate that rpm now. I have to say that others have done as much and more on fixed. I was riding (on gears) with one such at the weekend.

xroads

42x15 (72") on a Peugeot BBT frame with a fixed wheelset I laced/trued myself. It's my daily commuter for the 26 mile round trip to Windsor. Ideal for the commute all year round and have been riding fixed for the past 3 years now. I also have a carbon geared bike but thats for the occasional sunday ride.

Top Bottom