What gear and Where do you ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D4VOW

49-17 (75.7") on my Leader which i use for all road riding around Nottingham.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Traditionally it would have been roughly 56" for loaded touring, around 62" for winter training, and 72" for summer riding. Bigger gears only for racing.

For city riding I find mid to high 60s fine. A good rouleur gear.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
palinurus said:
That must require some considerable skill on the descents.

Actually I think most people toured with a freewheel, though an old friend of mine says he toured Wales in the 60s on a 56" fixed with his infant daughter on a childseat.

Like I said before, a huge range in gearing and the type of terrain you ride doesn't seem to be the over-riding factor, I'm now wondering what does determine the choice. Is it experience, ie lower gears means a smooth turner of the pedals, or is it leg length and longer cranks which mitigate towards a bigger gear. Could it just be about having slow or fast twitch muscles for those fast descents. I think it could be an interesting experiment to test a bunch of fixed riders to find the answer.
I appreciate I'm going slightly off thread but I think it's fascinating when you watch others on fixed in a totally different gear.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I suppose I have always been a grinder rather than a spinner and I find that either 48 x 16 or 48 x 18 off 165 cranks suits best my riding style. The lack of any real hills round here also helps.

irontam

Used to be 67.5" (45x18) round hilly Edinburgh, now moved onto 70" (44x17).

I tackle most hills (bar Royal Mile or Arthurs Seat).

i was thinking of getting a lightweight stripped down fixed for summer instead of the pompino with pannier rack and bag. i'd probably up the gear to around 70" ish if i ever manage to afford it. The lincolnshire poacher looks good!
http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/The_Lincolnshire_Poacher.html

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
If i was in a flatter place, im not sure if i would ride a bigger gear. The gear im in now is fine for everything, although i might go slightly bigger, about a 75/76" gear if i was somewhere really flat.
But i can sprint for things, keep up in chain gangs, and have also been up a 1 in 4 in the 72" gear.
If you cant keep up/ride the hill, then your not fit enough.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It'll certainly teach you to pedal. I find my current 64" gets up nearly everything and down as well. But you'll be spinning a little faster.

Are you a Dynamo?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For my first week fixed I rode 70" - 44 x 17 but on the run in town I was too top speed limited (my leg speed) and it was hard work chasing road bikes. Although, that gearing just about got me up one of the local climbs home (training run route). For the work route I switched it to the 74" (44 x 16) and that's fine - flat speed is from 21-25, so it's in road bike range, but after 23 mph it get's very hard work....

I don't have Joe's young legs, so after about 110 rpm on the flat I've got no gain.... on a road bike I'd shove it in a big gear and go.....

I do like fixed loads - just great for work. Simple, no messing. Hard work to ride it, then yes..... wasn't looking after anything easy....

I resisted it for years - one of my club mates was a fixed guy - came in top 5 on hill climbs in the late 80's locally on his fixed - I thought no chance, it's too hilly....

paddy01

Ian H said:
It'll certainly teach you to pedal. I find my current 64" gets up nearly everything and down as well. But you'll be spinning a little faster.

Are you a Dynamo?

I've never measured my natural cadence but on observation alone I think I might be slightly higher pedal speed. In fact leg speed is something I've be working on a bit so it might be no bad thing.

I don't expect to be averaging any more than 13 to 14mph on it at the very most, and that would be a cadence of around 80rpm which I understand isn't all that high?

Top Bottom