What goes through your mind as you ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Interesting, but I am most surprised, some sensible stuff there.

I am too new to the forum to offend anybody by saying what I think about when I am riding. I thought/assumed that most would be thinking the same sort of thing.:blush:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
MarkF said:
Interesting, but I am most surprised, some sensible stuff there.

I am too new to the forum to offend anybody by saying what I think about when I am riding. I thought/assumed that most would be thinking the same sort of thing.:blush:

Go on, don't be shy. Were all friends here;)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
When i am riding on the flat, I don't normally think of any thing in particular, maybe the countryside or the widlife around at the time. But, when going up steep hills, and to qualify this, some of you might know that I am an engine driver on the main line, qualified to drive steam engines. I think of the beat of a three cyclinder A4 pacific, which I have driven from Kings Cross on two occasions, working hard up the gradient from the 'Cross to Potters Bar. It works for me every time. Please don't think I am too weird:blush:

gbb

Legendary Member
A mixture of nothing but concentration on what i'm doing and enjoyment of the countryside and views....and being a nosy b'stard...looking at anything and everything as i'm going along.

I used to be the same when jogging, but i think the concentration purely on what you were doing was more intense...looking continuously at where your feet were going to land.

stevenb

Joe24 said:
Nothing.
Sometimes i swear at drivers in my head, or call hills or the wind bad names.
But most of the time its blank.

I hate the wind....I cursed out aloud the other day as the head long wind was sapping my energy and making me lose my rythym...grrr
But other than that I stay pretty focused...when I'm struggling I think of a fave tune in my head to try and motivate me...it normally works just fine.:blush:

col

Legendary Member
I used to hum out a tune in my head,in beat with my cadence,havnt done it lately though.Its more like grunt gasp faaart at the mo.

red_tom

Brrr colder than I thought. 20 to 7. Pleanty of time. . Adjust bag on back. And we're off. Remember it's a fixie. Ow. Creaky knees. Getting old. Must get a lower gear. Look ahead. Attempt to predict the insanity. Cyclist in the distance. Is that car door going to open? Getting nearer. What is with your foot placement. Are you part duck? If you oiled your chain you might go a little faster. Queue of traffic at the lights. Left or right side. That cycle lane is a death trap. Is that car door going to open? Let's go right. Plenty of room. Weave to the front of the lights. Throw stink eye at van driver who is parked in the advance stop lines. For F**ks sake. Why do all slow cyclist jump lights! I'm only going to pass you again in 10 seconds. And they're off. Push hard to get past Mr Squeaky before the van driver kills me. Is that car door going to open? Don't step out mr pedestrian...don't step out....don't st.HELLO! Somebody hasn't had thier coffee yet. Spin. Spin. Spin. How long has that light been green? I can make it. Engage Robbie McEwan mode. GO. GO. GO. Yes! Eek! Remember it's a fixie. Last corner. Is that car door going to open? Don't catch the pedal. Brake. Relax.

Commuting in London. you've got to love it.

cyclebum

col said:
I used to hum out a tune in my head,in beat with my cadence,havnt done it lately though.Its more like grunt gasp faaart at the mo.

Ever thought of an ipod, then its easier to add your grunts and gasps in rythm as well-not sure how conrtolled your farts are though :blush:

Wasnt it Lance Armstrong who said he thought about sex whilst cycling?

My mind might occasionally wander down thaqt road but usually more "when will I next get some" , rather than the act itself!!

Most of the time Im thinking aboiut the 4x4 thats about to pull out in front of me or if the road does allow some time for thought I can cover everything from world peace (or war) to what colour to paint my garage door.

col

Legendary Member
cyclebum said:
Ever thought of an ipod, then its easier to add your grunts and gasps in rythm as well-not sure how conrtolled your farts are though :o)

:blush:

Abitrary

la di da, la di da
broken glass! broken glass! chav incident last night involving alcohol
la di da, la di da
broken glass! broken glass! hmmm, this stuff is weird colours, could be a car smash.
la di da, la di da

Top Bottom