What happened next!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here is a wee video quiz for you. Watch the following video taken during this mornings commute and tell me what you think happened next......:blush:

No cyclists were (seriously) hurt in the filming of this video.....:smile:

You were passed by a white Fiat Uno that didn't stop?

Tynan

Veteran
you were going too fast down some ridiculous cycle path and lost it?

I wouldn't ride down that, and if I did I wouldn't do it that fast

Cab

For no readily apprent reason, you came off, the bike came over the top of you, you ended up on your arse the goalie kicked the ball right at the defender and it bounced over his head and into the net?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tynan said:
you were going too fast down some ridiculous cycle path and lost it?

I wouldn't ride down that, and if I did I wouldn't do it that fast

The path is pretty poor (some potholes etc) but I wasn't going too fast. I normally go faster, but I noticed that there was some flowing water so I kept the speed down. I am fairly sure I know what started it and speed wasn't the issue. Any guesses as to why my traction may have been reduced?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Your coat/video cable/a.n.other-trailing-item got stuck in the back wheel and brought you to a sudden stop to admire the floor...

You've pretty much got the last part right, but not the initiator. Another note is that the water on the path is a little bit of a red herring....

OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:
Did you kiss the tarmac?

Not at all. In fact my judo instinct kicked in and I did a lovely back breakfall landing flat on my back (nice cushioning effect from my rucksack, although my banana was pretty inedible afterwards! :smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Cab said:
For no readily apprent reason, you came off, the bike came over the top of you, you ended up on your arse the goalie kicked the ball right at the defender and it bounced over his head and into the net?

You must have been there cab!:smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Full explanation:

The tunnel is often littered with rubbish, including glass. This isn't normally a problem with my marathon plus tyres. However, just as I was straightening back up from going through the chicane I think my front wheel went over some glass, which slipped in the damp conditions. From there on it was inevitable that I would hit the deck, despite my best efforts to remain vertical.

After much wobbling I landed flat on my back (avoiding both the wall and the metal barrier on the right) still straddled my bike which had come down on its right hand side with my right leg still underneath and the front wheel facing the wrong way.

Amazingly my only injury was a slight bang on my right leg from my bike.

The bike was fine, although my lights have a few scratches on them and my back mudguard took a bit of a bashing. I also had to collect my batteries from one of my lights that were now rolling down the hill.

A freak accident I feel, and one I was lucky not to have been more seriously hurt from. I shudder to think what would have happened if I tumbled towards the metal barrier at the side.:smile:

My first though, having got up from the tarmac was: I hope I got that on camera!! :blush:

PrettyboyTim

magnatom said:
My first though, having got up from the tarmac was: I hope I got that on camera!! :smile:

But did you get any more of it on camera, or did it cut out just as you fell?

Congratulations on surviving pretty much unscathed!

Comiserations on your banana.

domtyler

Über Member
I did think that you were going pretty fast considering the conditions, I suspect that you were almost willing this crash so you had something entertaining to put on YouTube, am I right?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tim,

It cut as I fell. That's all I have. I think the connector came out as I twisted my head. Amazingly the Archos hard disk recorder survived unscathed. Especially considering it is in my rucksack and so it helped to cushion my fall!:smile:

Top Bottom