What happens after you leave on the cycle to work scheme?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It sounds perfectly fair, you owe them so you pay them.

Or, possibly, return to them the bike that you are hiring from them. I vaguely remember that being an option when I did the C2W and read the T&Cs - although it was about 8 years ago, so may have changed since, I s'pose.

LewisLondon

[QUOTE 5302629, member: 10119"]Or, possibly, return to them the bike that you are hiring from them. I vaguely remember that being an option when I did the C2W and read the T&Cs - although it was about 8 years ago, so may have changed since, I s'pose.[/QUOTE]

I'd be very surprised if that's an option - what would a company want with a random bike?!

[QUOTE 5302638, member: 45"]They wouldn't. But that's [edit] possibly [/edit] part of the deal.[/QUOTE]

It may depend who is running the scheme you participate in, and it may not even be the case for the scheme at my employers any more - I know that lots of things have changed with C2W over the years.

midlife

Guru
I don't think there is the option of handing it back in and walking away.

BITD I knew a few people that did this with their house keys to the bank.....

Julia9054

Guru
They own it until ownership is transferred For a £1,000 bike that’ll be 3-4 years... unless a final payment is made.
Depends on your scheme. For mine, the full purchase price is split into 12 payments and removed from my salary before tax and NI. There is no final payment and the bike is mine after the 12 months is up.

Julia9054

Guru
[QUOTE 5302661, member: 45"]That's interesting because that's how all schemes work up until the end of the loan period. And I believe that when they hand the bike over HMRC want to make sure that you're not overly benefitting from the tax break, which is why many schemes now continue the loan period (in gesture only) until the residual value of the bike isn't worth bothering about.[/QUOTE]
That's what my scheme actually says. In reality, I have never had to make a final payment and have never been told about any extended loan period.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm not the one stuck in a contract with punitive exit clauses that I am unhappy about. Not saying I haven't been tied to such agreements but, having read and taken onboard the T&Cs at inception, I went in knowing the possible pitfalls and accepting that if such situations arose I would just have to take it on the chin and suck it up, as it were.

Just sayin :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My works C2W scheme did charge a final purchase fee. On a £1k bike it was almost equivalent to another (13th) months payment. Still made it a worthwhile exercise, but as i said before, only as good as getting a good end of season discount if it had been available on the bike i wanted.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I went with Evans who let me apply every discount and price matching, then apply C2W, best of both worlds.

bpsmith

Veteran
The Halfords based scheme, that my employer offers, is a 12 month scheme with no option to extend. Therefore there is a residual value to consider, with 3 options:

1. Hand the bike back.
2. Pay them the residual 25% value if it’s between £500 and £1,000. 17% if below.
3. They gift me the bike and I pay the tax on the gift value. Taken over 12 months, the following year.

They do the third option by just adjusting your tax code by £250. Only recently found that They informed the IR that this had finished but they didn’t change my code. 3 years of back tax pending now. :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
However, the OP is leaving in the first year, thus he doesn’t have those options. The remaining balance comes from his final psycheck

Slick

Guru
I went with Evans who let me apply every discount and price matching, then apply C2W, best of both worlds.
I went with the same scheme but I didn't use the same shop. I did get the same end of season discount as everyone else both years I have done it but there was also the mysterious 10% surcharge for using the voucher. I have yet to be asked for a final payment for either bike and the first bike agreement was completed 7 months ago.

Top Bottom