What has happened to my legs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I am just getting back into commuting again, and my whole body was knackered yesterday. So I left the bike at work, and drove home. Feeling much better today, so might cycle home tonight - but I ain't gonna be too worried if I have to take another day off. Although I have found that even when I feel as if I am going much slower than I used to that it makes litle difference timewise, a few minutes slower. Looking forward to the warmer weather tho as even when properly wrapped up there are times when I feel the cold in my bones and my legs feel as if they are freezing to a halt!

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I felt like this today as well, weak and feeling like I'm cycling through treacle, and I've not had any significant break from cycling to work. I think putting the studded tyres on may have something to do with it. I was planning to set off for work ten minutes earlier tomorrow morning and ride at a slower pace, see if that helps recovery.
I've learned that the odd treacly day is just par for the course, and I certainly had the occasional "off day" back in the Autumn. Yesterday morning my legs really took me by surprise though – lead weights and tight, uncooperative quads – but thankfully my return journey wasn't too bad last night. This morning's commute was much better, even achieving typical speeds and under 55 minutes (for 14.2 miles) – perhaps it was being treated to some typically dreich, damp weather that helped ^_^ (Wonder what happened to all that ice they forecast??)

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I am just getting back into commuting again, and my whole body was knackered yesterday. So I left the bike at work, and drove home. Feeling much better today, so might cycle home tonight - but I ain't gonna be too worried if I have to take another day off. Although I have found that even when I feel as if I am going much slower than I used to that it makes litle difference timewise, a few minutes slower. Looking forward to the warmer weather tho as even when properly wrapped up there are times when I feel the cold in my bones and my legs feel as if they are freezing to a halt!
Glad you're feeling better today... me too, so perhaps it was just something in the air yesterday?! I only started commuting at the end of last Summer, and the best time for my 14.25 mile commute so far is 51 minutes, and my worst 1hr 7mins (if I recall, that was a wild week with 50mph+ cross winds!!). That's more fluctuation than I'd like, and hopefully I'll see that flatten out a bit through this year. My normal time is around 56-57 minutes, and as you say, even if I feel I'm having a slow day it really only adds a few minutes. Likewise, if I'm flying (or not suffering from excessive wind resistance) it just takes off a couple of minutes. Either way, 1hr on the bike is ten times better than 40 minutes in the car :thumbsup:

We don't really see "warmer" commuting weather here in Central Scotland, but I am looking forward to it getting milder ^_^

BSRU

A Human Being
I sometimes wake up with legs that feel they've had enough but a couple of minutes on the bike and their right as rain.
The only time that feeling does not go away is when I am riding with a cold or flu.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
it must be the cold weather, my 17.5 mile lunchtime training ride is taking me at least 5 minutes longer since the snow, ring on the spring :sun: and the warmer weather :becool:

BSRU

A Human Being
I am slower than normal but that is down to riding on Marathon Winters, although as the days pass I am slowly getting faster.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Nice to hear that I'm not alone... perhaps the cold weather is having more of an impact that I thought!

Perhaps the fact that my Flight is tipping the scales at 17kg might have something to do with it too. Apparently the Flights' "factory weight" is supposed to be 11kg, but I'd never have thought that my mudguards, rack, pannier bag (with minimal tools/spare tubes), pump and lights would add a whopping 6kg :scratch:

Peowpeowpeowlasers

Perhaps you guys aren't eating correctly. I find that a massive bowl of cereal, a big latte and a mullerrice, get rid of any tiredness. Eating again when I return is a big help also.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Perhaps you guys aren't eating correctly. I find that a massive bowl of cereal, a big latte and a mullerrice, get rid of any tiredness. Eating again when I return is a big help also.
Interesting.... I wonder if the body's requirements are increased because of the cold? Never thought of that before. For what it's worth though, I'm quite happy with how I'm "fuelling the commute" :thumbsup:

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
if i recall you need more "fuel" to keep your body at an optimal temperature when its colder (i.e stoking the fires!) not sure where i read it but im sure its on t'interwebamebobbie somewhere

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I've only cycled a couple of times this year so far. I've taken up running and am just at the end of week 4 of a 9 week CouchTo5K programme. The schedule is for 3 days a week, with a rest day in-between each one. I tried a bit of cycling as well as running when I first started it, but nearly killed myself. My poor legs are only just starting to handle the shock of 16st banging down through them as I run, and the aches & pains afterwards are lessening as my stamina increases & my body adapts. Hoping to start interspersing the running with cycling again as I get closer to the end of the 9 weeks, as I fear my backside is going to have softened up through lack-of-saddle-interface!

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
if i recall you need more "fuel" to keep your body at an optimal temperature when its colder (i.e stoking the fires!) not sure where i read it but im sure its on t'interwebamebobbie somewhere
Could definitely be having an impact, although I think just starting back up again is the primary reason for dead-legs-syndrome! I've been trying to convince myself that it wasn't the extra Snickers that I had half-an-hour before setting off last night that made the homeward journey significantly better compared to the poor morning performance.... Today, I just had the usual 2 weetabix and raisins before setting off (couldn't be bothered with porridge), but I do have another Snickers in the cupboard that might be too tempting to resist come 4 o'clock :hungry:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I've only cycled a couple of times this year so far. I've taken up running and am just at the end of week 4 of a 9 week CouchTo5K programme. The schedule is for 3 days a week, with a rest day in-between each one. I tried a bit of cycling as well as running when I first started it, but nearly killed myself. My poor legs are only just starting to handle the shock of 16st banging down through them as I run, and the aches & pains afterwards are lessening as my stamina increases & my body adapts. Hoping to start interspersing the running with cycling again as I get closer to the end of the 9 weeks, as I fear my backside is going to have softened up through lack-of-saddle-interface!
I've never fancied running myself and I think I'd probably kill myself cycling and running... Good on you and your CouchTo5K programme! I went from 18st to 12st just by changing my lifestyle (i.e. sensible food choices/portion control) and walking, not running, only getting on a bike once I had lost 5 stone. Feel so much better for it though, dead-legs this week or not.

In all honesty, I think I will be a bit firmer with SWMBO come next winter and insist that I keep commuting come rain (used to that), wind (again, well used to that), sun (what's that?) or snow. Now that I've picked up that s/h Cube Attention (cheers Larry theLoafer :thumbsup:) I'll have the option of a chunky MTB and possibly studded tyres to see me right through and not have an enforced 'Winter Break'

Bman

Guru
I don't know about everyone else, but if my Wife told me I could not cycle for 3 months, a divorce would be on the cards!

She knows this too, so wouldnt even attempt to ban me from my bikes :smile:

I am the better person to judge if its safe for me to cycle. Having done 5000 miles in the last year compared to her 0miles.

But back on topic, a two month break from cycling would definatley have that effect on me too. I feel it after just a week off the bike!

Top Bottom