What has happened to my spokes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just before Xmas I swapped my cassette over. It wasn't quite shifting right so today I took it off and put it back on again to make sure everything was aligned properly. While it was off I noticed big gouges on all the outer spokes on the drive side, behind where the cassette goes. What could be causing this? They look fresh. Surely it can't be the cassette as that sits a couple of mm out from the spokes, and anyway these gouges are within the radius of the largest sprocket, if you see what I mean.

20150110_115619.jpg

What's caused it, should I be worried and am I going to need my rear wheel rebuilding?

RebornBumbler

Hard to be sure, but it looks like only minor scraping to the black finish - perhaps you got a bit of wire caught round there at some point ?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Do you use the lowest gear ?
Im guessing something to do with the low stop but the rear derailleur would catch it higher up the spoke so is the chain catching the spokes ?

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
It doesn't photograph too well but it's not just scraping on the black finish - there's definitely jagged metal.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Do you use the lowest gear ?
Im guessing something to do with the low stop but the rear derailleur would catch it higher up the spoke so is the chain catching the spokes ?
I did consider that, but then the chain would need to be between the sprocket and the spokes.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't think the chain could have come off, damaged the spokes in that way, and then come back on although there has been some odd clunky shifting on the large sprocket. The damage goes right down to the level of the hub flange, and that's a 30 tooth sprocket. This photo is with the cassette installed:
20150110_160232.jpg

Maybe I should've left the pie plate on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Old cassette had pie plate in place so it's happened since the swap. Working assumption has to be chain jumping off and on again I think, although I'm still skeptical...

I've been meaning to get into wheelbuilding so I guess I'll start by having a go at respoking this one.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Old cassette had pie plate in place so it's happened since the swap. Working assumption has to be chain jumping off and on again I think, although I'm still skeptical...

I've been meaning to get into wheelbuilding so I guess I'll start by having a go at respoking this one.
Its easier to do them one at a time and then you can avoid needing to retrue the whole wheel, just get each one right before going on to the next.

Top Bottom