What has priced itself out of YOUR budget?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I now buy used clothes rather than new. Had some nice bargains if you're not fussed about big brand names. Jeans and shirts for under a fiver. New clothes are only new for a short while, and they all look the same once washed and ironed

Gwylan

Veteran
Probably showing my (lack of) age here, but a genuine question nonetheless; when was this?

Late 70s early 80s. I took over managing a business in N Wales. There was a profit share element to the salary.
As I took over, Maggie caused the pit and the local steelworks to close. Massive unemployment and social problems.

Our branch was broken into regularly for bits and pieces of electrical equipment.

My .mortgage went up relentlessly until it was more than 50% of my salary and in the circumstances there was no chance of a bonus.

The winter of 79 there were days when the temperature hovered around -5. I could not afford oil to heat the house. We struggled, burned chopped pallets the the little coal we had. And worse..
A memorable, but not great time.

Proto

Legendary Member
Porsche 993

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Nothing has priced itself out of my budget. But I prefer the grill on the seafront to the fancy restaurant in the forest. I live well within my means. At 64 the house is paid for and the money just keeps building up. I think that is party due to have been at the skint end of the scale for so long. I have stopped using my car for my 40km commute and am using my 125cc motorbike. That saves me about £120 a month. I think I am naturally frugal. But I dont have to go without things I want. But at 64; I have everything I need. Well ok. I am looking at a new car and a 5k electric bike. ^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I remember paying 50p for a pint of Abbott at the SU bar, mid-80s, although the taxpayer effectively made it free.

Not that much different to pub prices

B0C91DBB-4736-43E3-90D5-41A0A0DC952D.jpeg

AuroraSaab

Veteran
You can still get beer for 99p in Wetherspoons. My take on prices is that most stuff costs less to buy but more to run. Houses being the major exception. Compared to the '70's and '80's for example, Tv's and electricals are much cheaper than they were (relative to salaries), decent used cars were cheaper until recently, foreign holidays are cheaper. What costs more is the running costs like petrol, utilities, car insurance, travel insurance etc.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Late 70s early 80s. I took over managing a business in N Wales. There was a profit share element to the salary.
As I took over, Maggie caused the pit and the local steelworks to close. Massive unemployment and social problems.

Our branch was broken into regularly for bits and pieces of electrical equipment.

My .mortgage went up relentlessly until it was more than 50% of my salary and in the circumstances there was no chance of a bonus.

The winter of 79 there were days when the temperature hovered around -5. I could not afford oil to heat the house. We struggled, burned chopped pallets the the little coal we had. And worse..
A memorable, but not great time.

Eee .... you were lucky!
We used to live in paper bag in middle of t' road......

Top Bottom