What has priced itself out of YOUR budget?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Probably showing my (lack of) age here, but a genuine question nonetheless; when was this?

Back around late 70s I recall it hitting 16.5%......frightening to us as we had recently taken out our 1st mortgage.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
1992-3 rings a bell. Was it called black Monday ?

Close; Black Wednesday on 16 September 1992: https://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/analysis/historical-interest-rates-uk/

We bought our first house from a news-reader on Radio 4. It'd been empty for 3 years and I sent SWMBO to make a cheeky offer just after she'd read it out on the news thinking she'd go "oh, no" as she was in London and the house in Middlesbrough.

By the time the cheeky offer had been accepted, and we'd each signed bits of paperwork by fax, it went back down to 10% the next day ^_^

take away coffees, pushing on for nearly £3 from most places for a coffee, absolutely crazy
would even begrudge that sitting in never mind take away.
just have my coffee at home now from the pods or make my own when out
mcdonalds is very good to be fair though, £1 for a take away, long may that last

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
We bought in 95 and rates were 8-10% and we ran the figures to 15% to check we could afford it.
We brought again just 2 years ago but luckily had a huge amount of money so the mortgage is quite low.
I wouldn't fancy a 95% mortgage these days.

I can smell negative equity on the horizon again........

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
We bought in 95 and rates were 8-10% and we ran the figures to 15% to check we could afford it.

Only had the place for 2 years (a spur of the moment purchase with a girl I later fell out with), but we still sold it for a 25% profit.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
£4 for a pint? You were lucky, lad!
I rarely go to pubs these days for a number of reasons, but on Wednesday night I made an exception on the occasion of Rangers playing in the Europa league final.
I was in a company of 6, and when it was my round I went to the bar and paid over £20 for the privilege. Not bad you say? But when I got back to our table it turns out I had forgotten my mate's son, who was drinking some kind of IPA.. So I went back to the bar for a pint of said IPA, confidently holding a fiver in my hand...... "£5.90 please" says the barman :ohmy:. The night cost £60, which included a very ordinary steak pie with chips.
So yes, pubs join the list of luxury items for special occasions only, when they used to be a daily occurrence back in my late teens and early 20's.

And I thought slightly exaggerating my price might be questioned! Around here it's more like £3.50, though some pubs sell pints for less than 3 quid, even less than 2, but they are not nice places. In 4 miles away Ribble Valley/Clitheroe you can sometimes pay over a fiver, but nothing like your price!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Any of you finding bars of soap expensive these days, try Tesco Essentials soap at a mere 15p a bar. I've had bars of soap mostly bought for me at birthdays, Christmas etc and they haven't lasted as long or 'foamed up' as much as the 15p Tesco bar.:okay:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A factor to consider is that inflation affects certain socio-economic groups more than others due to the % of their income that goes into essentials.

We’ve not made any sacrifices (yet) but have put off car replacement until the crazy car prices come down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom